Rioting in Guildford - Surely not! - useful advice from H2i Insurance Brokers
10th August 2011
... Comments


The first thing to be aware of is that if you think you may need to make a claim then you need to inform the insurers AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.  The reason for this is that under the Riot Damages Act 1886 the insurers may have the opportunity to claim back cost from the local police authority, one of the main provisos for which is that they notify any such potential claims within fourteen days.  As a result of this it may well be a policy condition that you notify insurers within 7-days of any claim (which may or may not be exclusive to riot but in any case you are always required to inform insurers ‘as soon as possible’).

The Association of British Insurers have commented that"Home insurance should cover people for fire, looting or damage caused. Many policies will also cover people for accommodation costs if they can’t stay in their home.  Most commercial insurance policies will cover businesses for damage to their premises, including the interruption to their business as a result. Some policies will also cover those businesses which are not damaged, but whose trade is affected by the aftermath."

Travel insurance is unlikely to cover an individual or business owner who decides to return early from a holiday due to damage to their property unless requested to do so by the police.  However a missed flight due to a road being blocked or a station being closed as a result of the riots should be covered by most travel policies.

These are of course general statements and individual insurance arrangements should be checked.  Riot and civil commotion are standard perils and indeed cover for buildings and/or contents will normally include this cover (with the likely exception of unoccupied properties that have restricted perils).  In the event of the policy not covering riot, a claim can be made direct to the police authority but the fourteen day deadline still applies.  In addition, such property damage claims are likely to be settled on an indemnity rather than reinstatement basis and there is no provision for interruption to the business (loss of income and/or increased cost of working).

If you have questions regarding the above or would like some FREE help and advice contact me, Clive Harrison at H2i Insurance Brokers.

It is essential you notify insurers as soon as possible and in any event within the 7-day limit and this remains your responsibility.

You can find a list of insurer telephone numbers by clicking here.  You should have your policy number to hand when you contact them and make a note of any claim reference number and the details of the individual you talk to plus any contact details to be used thereafter.

·        The safety of you, your employees and customers must be your priority.


About the Author

Sally Castro

Member since: 28th May 2012

56, married, 3 children - passionate about all things local! Owner of the bestofguildford site, keen supporter of Guildford Rugby Club... serial networker

Popular Categories