Dated: 10 November 2011
Make your way safely around the kitchen and maintain optimum posture with the following advice from the British Chiropractic Association (BCA):
Unloading the shopping
· Make the most of home deliveries – they will come to you and save you the stress and strain!
· A weight held at arm’s length can have the effect of being up to five times heavier. Always carry heavy tins or boxes close to the body. Don’t lift and twist when putting the shopping away and be sure to face the direction of the cupboard or fridge
· Store frequently used items between elbow and shoulder height to avoid regularly over stretching your back. Pull-out storage cupboards lessen the need to stretch or strain even more
Cooking up a storm
· When preparing food, make sure the counter top is the correct level for your height. You want to avoid stooping if it is too low or reaching up if it is too high. Preparing food on a deep wooden chopping board can help achieve the correct level
· Lifting heavy pots, pans or utensils can strain your back muscles. Always face the direction in which you want to carry the weight, lift using a relaxed, straight back, make sure your legs are at least hips’ width apart and lift with bent knees
· When reaching into cupboards for ingredients, avoid bending from the waist as it will increase stress on your lower back. Never keep the knees straight, as this could lead to over-stretching and cause damage to your back
Doing the dishes
· Standing up straight whilst washing the dishes, rather than slumped over the sink, could make all the difference to back pain. Stand with your feet shoulder width apart and don’t over stretch. If you need to, rest one foot on a stool to make sure you are comfortably positioned over the sink. Raise the washing-up bowl by placing a second upturned washing up bowl underneath it
· Got a dishwasher? Remember to bend your knees and keep your back straight when loading and unloading the lower shelf.
For more information of how to look after your back call Luck's Yard Clinic on 01483-527945 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 01483-527945 end_of_the_skype_highlighting or see their web site on www.lucksyardclinic.com. We offer free 15 minute consultations to find out if Chiropractic is the most suitable choise of care for your back!
Member since: 1st March 2012
My passion is education and community and I love being part of a team. I started Luck's Yard Clinic in 2007 with a vision to enable profesional health practitioners to work under the same roof in order...