Kiren Dulthummon, Banqueting and Events Manager at The Mandolay Hotel in Guildford has helped to organise hundreds of office parties both here in The UK and in his native Mauritius and whilst the climate may be slightly different there are a number of simple rules that he believes always apply.
Here are his top tips for a successful Office Christmas party
1. Select the right date; offer your colleagues a choice of 3 dates and choose the most popular.
2. Find a venue, town centre venues are most convenient and many including The Mandolay will have specialist staff to help with all the arrangements. We can discuss themes, entertainment options and even offer special accommodation rates for those wishing to stay overnight.
3. Try not to sit down to eat too late, dinner can take a while particularly if there are speeches or awards and you want to leave plenty of time for dancing.
4. Set a budget and stick to it. Will the company be paying for everything? Are partners invited? Is there a cash bar.
5. Communicate with your venue; we are here to make sure that all your hard work is rewarded with a great night for your colleagues. Most requests can be dealt with if we have enough time, telling us about a special diet just before service may lead to a reduced choice.
6. Consider dietary requirements, allergies, parking facilities, access for wheelchairs and let your venue know. Most hotels are well equipped to deal with these things and are happy to help.
7.Speak to a local taxi firm about pre-booking your journey home, it can get very busy and who wants to wait at a taxi rank when you can be collected outside the hotel?
8. Book any entertainment well in advance, most places will provide a first rate disco but you may want something a little different so speak to the venue and see what they can offer.
9. Make sure everybody knows where they are going and at what time; a quick general email to all staff should do the trick. This is especially important if your party has a theme, you don’t want to see a lone Batman stood in a room full of Gangsters and Molls!
And one last tip from Kiren…..?
10. Have fun!
The Mandolay Hotel, Guildford is situated at the top of town
Member since: 28th May 2012
56, married, 3 children - passionate about all things local! Owner of the bestofguildford site, keen supporter of Guildford Rugby Club... serial networker