Measures put in place by Greenwich council to support Businesses affected by the riot
12th September 2011
... Comments

Greenwich Council has put in place a number of measures to help support businesses affected by the recent disturbances in the borough.

Here is a list of frequently asked questions to help local businesses during this time.

Can I get financial support to help my business get back on its feet?

If you are a local business in an affected area you can apply for financial support through the Council who may be able to provide:

  • Hardship relief from business rates
  • Assistance in getting back up and running quickly if you are  experiencing cash-flow problems
  • Help with exceptional business expenses
  • Help to up-grade security measures

For more information please contact Greenwich Business Support Service:

Am I eligible for compensation from the Riot Damages Act fund?

The Riot Damages Act fund applies to both residents and businesses. Compensation may be possible if you are not covered by a home or business insurance policy.

Claims must be submitted by Friday 16 September.

Download a form from the DirectGov website

If you need further information, contact the claims department:

What is the High Street Support Scheme?

The Government is giving £20m to local authorities to help affected small and medium-sized businesses and commercial districts get back on their feet following the recent disorder.

Find out if you are eligible for the High Street Support Scheme

Can I get help filling in forms?

The Business Support service can arrange help with filling in forms from a business advisor or someone with insurance expertise.

Further drop-in advice surgeries will be held in Eltham and Woolwich.

How do I find out about business premises?

Search for premises here


How can I make my business premises more secure?

The Metropolitan Police and the Council have issued advice for businesses.

Read advice for unrest-hit businesses

Business Link offers advice on business continuity and safety guidance

The business link national helpline number is 0845 600 9006.

Will there be a reduction in business rates for businesses affected?

Where your premises have been severely damaged, you will need to contact the Valuation Office Agency which is responsible for setting the rateable values for each commercial property on the rating list.

They will make the decision on whether or not to delete the property from rating, in which case there will be no rates payable from the date of deletion until it is considered that it should be brought back into the rating list again.

Contact the Valuation Office Agency by telephone on 0845 602 1507.

Visit the Valuation Office Agency website

Difficulty paying rates

If you are having difficulty in paying your Business Rates, we may be able to re-schedule your payments, depending on your circumstances.

If you would like to be considered for a reduction in Business Rates, you will be required to complete a hardship application form.

Copies of trading accounts and any other information that may support your claim may also be required.

Please contact us for further information:

Where can I get advice on insurance?

Businesses should obtain a crime number from the police and contact their insurers immediately. Some policies will have a time limit on when you can claim so don't delay.

The Association of British Insurers says most business policies will cover the direct physical damage and theft, plus they will pay compensation for business interruption, if the policy includes that cover.
As with all insurance, the policy wording is key - so check to ensure there are no exclusions, though your insurer or broker will be able to advise you.

Where can my employees get advice on jobs and benefits?

Your employees can get advice on jobs and benefits from Job Centre Plus (JCP) Customer Service Centre on 08000 556688 or they can apply online.

Visit the DirectGov website for advice on Jobs and Benefits 

Applicants will be given an appointment at their nearest office to have an interview to make the appropriate claim.

If you as an employer would like advice from JCP please contact:

Emma Jarnell
Borough Partnership Manager
Woolwich Jobcentre Plus
Woolwich SE18 6PY

Telephone: 07796 611 588

Greenwich Local Labour and Business can also help Greenwich residents find jobs.

Contact GLLaB at:
122-130 Powis Street
Telephone: 020 8312 7960


Popular Categories