As well as being a chance to relax and get to know your co-workers, there are also unrivalled opportunities to ruin your reputation, fuel gossipmongers, and even get fired.
Brian Connor, General Manager of the Doubletree by Hilton Hotel and Spa Chester, has almost 20 years experience in the hospitality sector and has seen it all before. To help guide you through this social and professional minefield, here are his top tips:
1. “First of all, book your venue early – this not only ensures you get the place you want, but means you and your colleagues can arrange lifts and transport without a last minute panic. It also means you can plan what to wear!”
2. “Do not drink too much, and do not ever drink on an empty stomach. The bar may be free, but your dignity and reputation are priceless.”
3. “Do not flirt, or canoodle, with any co-workers. This - for many reasons - can only ever end badly.”
4. “Don’t let anyone take a photo of you that you’ll regret existing. Every workplace has a wannabe-paparazzi taking pictures at every opportunity, and these days the evidence of your drunken shenanigans will be on Facebook the next day. Be warned.”
5. “Do not think of this as an opportunity to complain about your job or ask for a raise – there will be proper channels within your company to do this. Your boss is still your boss, in or out of work, and that won’t impress.”
6. “Lastly, don’t talk about work. It’s Christmas, and it’s a party – no one wants to hear it!”
The Doubletree by Hilton Hotel & Spa Chester and the Marco Pierre White Steakhouse Bar and Grill are operated by Sanguine Hospitality Ltd and are located on Warrington Road, Chester CH2 3PD, seconds away from junction 12 of the M53.
For further information, telephone Doubletree by Hilton, Chester on 01244 408 800 or visit www.doubletree.hilton.co.uk/chester.
Member since: 10th July 2012
Chester word of mouth specialist, promotes and markets the best businesses in Chester. Passionately supporting local businesses, organisations and events.