Chester FC 3 Chorley 0 – Match Report
30th September 2011
... Comments

Three exceptional second half goals helped Chester leapfrog rivals Chorley on a record breaking night at the Exacta Stadium. A new record attendance was recorded by the newly formed club whilst shot stopper John Danby extended his own unbeaten run to seven clean sheets in a row with some outstanding saves, and in turn passed the great Grenville Millington's record of 590 minutes without conceding a goal, with Danby moving onto 636 minutes..

Chester were quick to get behind the ball and were very much on top for long periods of the first half. It wasn't long before the chances began to fall to Neil Young's men. Almost immediately Iain Howard lashed a powerful curling toe poke just over the bar from an inventive Chris Simm flick on whilst moments later Simm saw his deflected header go just wide of the far post from a corner.

After an eventful opening fifteen minutes, the game settled down and the Blues allowed Chorley a foothold. After soaking up the pressure for ten minutes or so, Chester counter attacked incredibly quickly with Simm bursting clear of his marker. The Chester striker played the ball across the face of goal where Alex Brown ingeniously stepped over the ball allowing it to roll into the path of Howard. Sadly though, with a clear shot a goal and just the keeper to beat, the winger scuffed the chance to give Chester the lead sending his effort high and wide.

George Horan headed just over as the half reached its conclusion where the Blues had most of possession and the better of the chances.

The visitors came out fighting after the break but it didn't take the Blues long to get their name on the scoresheet. The goal came when a Chester corner was cleared as far as Alex Brown who, 30 yards out, unleashed an unstoppable thunderbolt through a crowded penalty area and into the back of the net. Neil Young's men should have doubled their lead straight from the re-start when Brown found himself in space before blasting another thunderous drive just wide of the left post.

After having a shout for a penalty turned down the Blues doubled their lead just after the hour mark. Matty McNeil's persistence paid off as he raced onto a long ball over the top, with keeper Russell Sanders coming out to meet him, the Chester striker made no mistake sublimely heading over the keeper into an empty Chorley net.

With the clock ticking down Wesley Baynes sealed the points with Chester's third and final goal of the evening, and what a stunner it was. Baynes picked up the ball around 30 yards out before curling in a sensational right footer into the net.

Chester FC: John Danby, Liam Brownhill, Matthew McGinn, George Horan, Michael Taylor, Alex Brown, Robbie Booth (Wes Baynes 81), Michael Powell, Chris Simm (Rainford 77), Matty McNeil (Wilde 88), Iain Howard. Subs: Adam Judge, Jerome Wright.

Booked: Michael Powell

Goals: Brown 53, McNeil 61, Baynes 85.

Chorley FC: Russell Saunders, Alistair Brown, Tom Walker, Andrew Teague, Andy Russell, Dale Witham, Adam Roscoe, Jamie Vermiglio, Simon Whaley (Chris Denham 46), Tom Williams (Shelton Payne 61), Tom Ince (John Cunliffe 61).

Subs: Lee McEvilly, Wayne Maden.

Referee: Mr G Stott

Attendance: 3,310

About the Author

Paul D

Member since: 10th July 2012

Chester word of mouth specialist, promotes and markets the best businesses in Chester. Passionately supporting local businesses, organisations and events.

Popular Categories