Ashton United 0 Chester FC 2 – Match Report
8th September 2011
... Comments

The Blues are up to fourth after rain soaked win at Hurst Cross

Chester made their way into 4th spot last night following a 2-0 victory in the rain at Ashton United’s Hurst Cross ground.

Neil Young kept faith with the same team that started the North Ferriby match, and it paid immediate dividends with a goal after just 23 seconds for the in-form Chris Simm, who found the net for the third time this season after latching on to a through ball by Iain Howard, and a sharp shot found its way past Terry Smith in the Ashton goal to give the Blues a dream start.

The Robins tried to get themselves back in to the game, but were thwarted by the excellent John Danby, who blocked shots from Danny Lambert & Chris Amadi in quick succession.

Matty McGinn, then tested Smith’s hands, with a 25 yard free kick which was touched over the bar, but it wouldn’t be long before the left back would once again find the net.

It came via the penalty spot, after former Ashton midfielder Iain Howard, making his first return to his previous club, was upended in the 18 yard box by Ged Murphy, and McGinn collected the ball and rammed home his third spot kick for Chester, and his fourth goal since his loan period began against FC United.

Half Time saw no let up in the wet conditions, and the Blues went in search for the third goal that would have killed off the contest, and Simm went close to extending the lead when his overhead kick was tipped round the post by Smith, and Simm could and should have headed the Blues 3 up, but misguided his free header wide of the post.

Chester then rode the attempted comeback by Ashton, and inflicted a first defeat for the home team at their Hurst Cross ground, which was by the end of the match rain-sodden, but Neil Young will be delighted to bring home the points and see his side move up to 4th in the Evo-Stik Northern Premier League table.

The Blues are next in action at Worksop Town on Saturday, the kick off at Sandy Lane is 3pm.
Ashton: Smith, Harrop, Frost, Rimmer, Rose (Dawson 58), Murphy (Smith 70), Bennett, Wright (Bathurst 80), Burns, Amadi, Lambert. Subs: Cahill, Madeley.
Chester: Danby, Brownhill, Taylor, Horan, McGinn, Booth (Barnes 83), Smith, Powell, Howard, Simm (Reed 81), McNeil (Rainford 65). Subs: Brown, Baynes.
Goals: Simm 1, McGinn 38pen.
Referee: Paul Marsden (Lancashire).
Attendance: 528.


About the Author

Paul D

Member since: 10th July 2012

Chester word of mouth specialist, promotes and markets the best businesses in Chester. Passionately supporting local businesses, organisations and events.

Popular Categories