Celebrating the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee 2012 in Suffolk
With five weeks left to the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee celebrations I thought that it would be fun to bring you some interesting facts from the six decades spanning from The Coronation in 1952 to her Diamond Jubilee milestone this June 2012. Last week we covered the decade 1952 - 1962.
This week, in a fashionable colour of the decade (black and white!), we will have a quick peek into the years from 1962 – 1972
1962 – 1972
1965 - Another birth in the Royal Family. Edward, Duke of Wessex was born to the Queen and Prince Philip. Brother to Charles, Prince of Wales, born in 1948 and to Anne, Princess Royal, born in 1950 and Andrew, Duke of York, born in 1960
1962 - Vietnam War started, Dr No appeared on cinema screens
1963 - JFk was assassinated and Dr Who's first screening on TV.
1964 - The Sun newspaper first shone on the stands.
1965 - Mary Quant's first mini skirt.
1966 - England won The World Cup.
1967 - Colour TV came into households accross Britain.
1968 - Appearance of The Milk Tray Man.
1969 - First Man on The Moon and Concord's first flight
1970 - Blu Tac and the Curly Wurly.
1971 - Apollo Program lifts off on it's third succesful lunar landing mission.
1972 - The Andrex Puppy.
Cars of the Decade
The Mini and the E-Type Jaguar.
Well known catch phrases of the decade.
'Beanz Meanz Heinz'
'Happiness is a cigar called hamlet'
Recipe of the Decade - Fondue
A favourite among many from the 'Swinging Sixties'!
* 1 clove garlic, halved
* 350ml dry white wine, such as Sauvignon Blanc
* 300g Gruyère cheese, grated
* 300g Emmental cheese, grated
* 3 tsp cornflour
* 2-3 tbsp Kirsch
* Freshly ground black pepper
* To serve
* 1 large baguette, cut into bite-sized cubes
1. Rub the cut side of the garlic clove around the inside of your fondue pot. Discard the garlic.
2. Add the wine and bring it to the boil on a medium heat on the stove. Turn the heat down and add the cheese in handfuls, stirring until it melts.
3. Mix the cornflour with the Kirsch, and stir into the cheese. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring, until it is thick and creamy, then remove from the heat. Add pepper to taste.
4. Fondue should have a smooth, thick-sauce texture. If it is too thin, add more cheese, or stir in a little more cornflour, blended with wine. If it's too thick, stir in warmed white wine. If the fondue separates, keep stirring and it should recover. If not, add a squeeze of lemon juice or a teaspoon of cornflour dissolved in wine.
5. Move the pot to a burner on the table. Stirring often to keep the fondue smooth, spear the bread on fondue forks and dunk into the cheese.
1960’s Cocktail - Piña Colada
2 oz dark rum
2 oz pineapple juice
1½ oz coconut cream
Shake over ice and strain over ice into chilled collins glass. Garnish with a cherry and pineapple cube.
2012 - Local Jubilee event
Woodbridge – Elmhurst Park Diamond Jubilee Celebration:
A FUN PACKED AFTERNOON FOR ALL THE FAMILY IN ELMHURST PARK WITH:
• Live Music
• Punch and Judy
• Live Theatre Show
• Swing Band
• Motorised Racing Cars for Children
• Belly Dancers
• Food Stalls
1PM TO 5PM – BRING A PICNIC AND ENJOY THE DAY Visit Choose Woodbridge
Don't forget to check our events page thebestof events for news & updates on all the great Jubilee Celebration events taking place in the region. Sign up as a member for free and receive our regular local newsletter containing offers, events and recommended local businesses.
Right Royal Ghosts!
Mary Rose Tudor
Location: Westhorpe (Suffolk) - Westhorpe Lodge
Type: Haunting Manifestation
Date / Time: Twentieth century
Comments: Ghostly footsteps and glimpses of a woman have been heard and seen
Further Comments: This building is thought to contain the ghost of Henry VIII's sister.
To help residents make the most of the local opportunities to celebrate the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee, Suffolk Coastal has announced that all its car parks will be free on Sunday, June 3 and Monday, June 4.
Suffolk council are not charging any village or town to hold a Diamond Jubilee street party this summer!
Tune in next week for 1972 - 1982!
Member since: 4th June 2012
I have been writing blogs for thebestof since June 2012 and really enjoy spreading the word about local events, businesses and general information in the Woodbridge, Framlingham, Aldeburgh and Southwold...