Celebrating the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee 2012 in Suffolk
With three weeks left to the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee celebrations so it's fun to bring you some interesting facts from the six decades spanning from The Coronation in 1952 to her Diamond Jubilee milestone this June 2012. Last week we covered the decade 1962 - 1972.
This week, in a fashionable colour of the decade (bright pink), we will have a quick peek into the years from 1982 – 1992.
* E.T. Movie Released and Michael Jackson Releases Thriller
* Falkland Islands Invaded by Argentina.
* Reverend Sun Myung Moon Marries 2,075 Couples-Madison Square Garden
* Cabbage Patch Kids are Popular
* Reagan Announces Defense Plan Called Star Wars.
* Sally Ride Becomes the First American Woman in Space
* Huge Poison Gas Leak in Bhopal, India
* Indira Gandhi, India's Prime Minister, Killed by Two Bodyguards
* PG-13 Movie Rating Created
* Famine in Ethiopia
* Hole in the Ozone Layer discovered
* New Coke hits the market and wreck of the Titanic found
* Challenger Space Shuttle explodes and Chernobyl nuclear accident
* U.S. bombs Libya
* U.S.S.R. launches Mir Space Station
* West German Pilot lands unchallenged in Russia's Red Square
* Klaus Barbie, the Nazi Butcher of Lyons, sentenced to life in prison
* New York Stock Exchange suffers huge drop on "Black Monday"
* Pan Am Flight 103 Is bombed over Lockerbie
* U.S. Shoots down Iranian Airliner
* Berlin Wall falls
* Students massacred in China's Tiananmen Square
* U.S. President Bush announces that he doesn't like broccoli
* Hubble Telescope launched into space
* Lech Walesa becomes first President of Poland
* Nelson Mandela freed
* Collapse of the Soviet Union
* Copper Age man found frozen in glacier
* Operation Desert Storm
* South Africa Repeals Apartheid Laws
* Official end of the Cold War
* Riots in Los Angeles after the Rodney King verdict
TV shows - Dallas, The A Team, Star Trek, The Next Generation, The Waltons, The Simpsons, Dr Who had its Fourth Doctor and The Cosby Show
Pop groups included Madonna, Whitney HusPrince, Michael Jackson, U2, Culture Club, Genesis, Wham and Duran Duran.
Perms and hoopy earings (as the picture above!)
Car of the Decade
The Peugot 205 GTI
Well known catch phrases of the decade.
'Poser', 'Cheesy' and 'Let's do lunch!'
Recipe of the Decade - Cheesecake
* 100 g digestive biscuits, or cookies, crushed into fine crumbs
* 50 g demerara sugar
* 50 g butter, melted
* 500 g full-fat cream cheese
* 100 g icing sugar
* 1 vanilla pod, sliced lengthways, or 1 tsp vanilla extract
* 200 ml double cream
1. In a mixing bowl, mix together the biscuit crumbs and Demerara sugar. Add in the melted butter and mix well.
2. Spoon the biscuit mixture into a 20cm spring-form cake tin lined with silicon paper or baking parchment. Use a metal spoon to press the biscuit crumbs down firmly and evenly. Chill in the refrigerator until set.
3. In a large mixing bowl, using a whisk or a wooden spoon, beat together the cream cheese, icing sugar and vanilla pod seeds or vanilla extract until well mixed.
4. Fold in the double cream, mixing well.
5. Spoon the cream mixture over the chilled biscuit base, making sure that there are no air bubbles. Smooth the top of the cheesecake with a palette knife or metal spoon.
6. Chill the cheesecake in the refrigerator for 1 hour until set.
7. To serve, remove from the cake tin and cut into slices.
1970’s Cocktail - Madonna
Maybe because it's 'like a virgin'?
1 medium Banana
5 oz. Sweet and Sour mix
3 oz. Tequila
1.5 oz. Triple Sec
1 splash Curacao
Combine all ingriedients in blender, puree and serve. Garnish with lime wedge.
2012 - Local Jubilee event
Woodbridge – Elmhurst Park Diamond Jubilee Celebration:
See Choose Woodbridge
A FUN PACKED AFTERNOON FOR ALL THE FAMILY IN ELMHURST PARK WITH:
• Live Music
• Punch and Judy
• Live Theatre Show
• Swing Band
• Motorised Racing Cars for Children
• Belly Dancers
• Food Stalls
1PM TO 5PM – BRING A PICNIC AND ENJOY THE DAY Visit Choose Woodbridge
Don't forget to check our events page thebestof events for news & updates on all the great Jubilee Celebration events taking place in the region. Sign up as a member for free and receive our regular local newsletter containing offers, events and recommended local businesses.
Right Royal Ghosts!
Queen Isabella's Crazy Laughter
Location: Castle Rising (Norfolk) - Keep area
Type: Haunting Manifestation
Date / Time: 1358 onwards
Edward III held his mother here for twenty seven years - she was accused of assisting in the murder of her husband Edward II in 1328. People have heard her laughter and screams and more recently, witnesses have reported the eerie sounds of children playing and singing nursery rhymes.
To help residents make the most of the local opportunities to celebrate the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee, Suffolk Coastal has announced that all its car parks will be free on Sunday, June 3 and Monday, June 4.
Suffolk council are not charging any village or town to hold a Diamond Jubilee street party this summer!
There are currently 69 road closures in preparation for street parties accross Suffolk and we will let you have more details as they are confirmed.
Tune in next week for 1992 - 2002!
Member since: 4th June 2012
I have been writing blogs for thebestof since June 2012 and really enjoy spreading the word about local events, businesses and general information in the Woodbridge, Framlingham, Aldeburgh and Southwold...