Everyone likes to let their hair down during the Christmas party season, but it can lead to problems for contact lens wearers. Experts warn that poor optical hygiene can lead to serious eye infections and even blindness.
Many people tumble straight into bed after too many drinks, without taking their lenses out first. All too often there are lapses of the usual hygienic treatment of lenses over the party period. The results can be disastrous.
Bacterial corneal abscesses can occur when lenses are not handled carefully. In extreme cases, amoebae can attack the cornea, resulting in visual impairment or even blindness. This is particularly prevalent when lenses are washed in water or worn for too long in the shower.
Here are some simple tips to keep your eyes and lenses safe:
• Always wash and dry your hands thoroughly before handling your lenses.
• Disinfect re-usable lenses in a solution to prevent build ups of harmful organisms.
• Do not re-use or top up the disinfecting solution – always use fresh.
• Rinse the storage case, leave it open to dry and replace once a month.
• Do not re-use disposable lenses.
• Do not wear your lenses in the shower.
• Have a spare pair of prescription glasses available in case you are unable to wear your lenses.
If you have any doubts or worries about your lenses the team at Portsea Island Opticians will be happy to offer advice. Drop in to make an appointment at160 London rd, or call 02392 610710
Member since: 4th June 2013
An owner of Thebestof Portsmouth, I have lived in Portsmouth and Southsea all my life, so I like to think I have a good idea about what makes us tick. I am passionate about all things Portsmouth and Southsea,...