Bonfire Night in Newark is a time of year that is dreaded by many dog owners and their dogs. The sky is lit up and many dogs suffer fear and terror at the sound of the firework explosions.
There are a number of things you can do to make things more bearable for your dog:
1. Keep your dog indoors, close the curtains and turn up the volume on the TV to drown out the noise (let your neighbours know what you are planning to do and have happy neighbours as well!)
2. Never walk your dog while fireworks are being let off.
3. Remain Calm – act as you normally would. Ignore fearful behaviour and reward calmness.
4. Tire Them Out – If your dog has been for a nice long walk and is tired out they will be more likely to settle and not worry about the noise and activity outside.
5. Comfort Food – some dogs can benefit from a meal high in carbohydrate (rice or pasta) which will help them feel sleepier.
6. DAP – try Dog Appeasing Pheromone (D.A.P.) plug-in diffusers which emit a synthetic substance that mimics the reassuring pheromone produced by bitches for their puppies.
7. Make sure your dog is wearing a collar and tag and is microchipped in case it bolts and becomes lost.
8. Distraction – Maybe treat your dog to a new toy and save it especially for bonfire night.
9. Try to create a safe place for your pet – such as a cosy den full of blankets.
Have a fun and safe Bonfire Night!
The following Cookies are used on this Site. Users who allow all the Cookies will enjoy the best experience and all functionality on the Site will be available to you.
You can choose to disable any of the Cookies by un-ticking the box below but if you do so your experience with the Site is likely to be diminished.
In order to interact with this site.
To help us to measure how users interact with content and pages on the Site so we can make things better.
To show content from Google Maps.
To show content from YouTube.
To show content from Vimeo.
To share content across multiple platforms.
To view and book events.
To show user avatars and twitter feeds.
To show content from TourMkr.
To interact with Facebook.
To show content from WalkInto.