Town Title celebrations delayed
30th April 2012
... Comments


Town Title celebrations delayed

Monmouth Town 1, Dinas Powys 1

The Kingfishers’ journey to the Division Two title has been not so much of a march as a slow grinding crawl, even a front crawl given the weather which has hampered so much of their progress.  During the week they had lost top spot to Tata Steel for the first time this season as the Steelmen finally caught up in terms of games and points. For town this was a first outing for three weeks and in championship challenges momentum is a vital component. No matter. A point here against a Dinas Team who had won 9 in ten and another three from the final two games lands the title.

The Kingfishers however were nowhere near their best here – perhaps suffering from the lay-off on a heavy pitch and playing too predictably against a Dinas team who had come to sit deep and play the percentages.

An early free kick by Dean Palmer was headed just wide at the far post and then forced the keeper to make a great save with a dipping effort minutes later. Smith was having a good old battle in midfield supported by Laurie and Ford was getting some joy down the right hand side. MacDonald was struggling to get a toe hold in the game but kept looking and probing and saw a difficult volley fly wide.  Dinas weathered the storm and came more and more into the game and eventually broke the deadlock on 35 minutes when a superb pin-point free-kick wide on the right by Adam Raymond found Steffan Davies to head home powerfully giving Tom Pass no chance for 1-0 to the visitors.

Dinas looked as if they must increase their lead when a great run down the left by Liam Jeremy ended with a low cross to Gareth Tedstone but the ball just evaded his outstretched boot from five yards.

The second half started with Monmouth in the ascendancy with the prolific Dan McDonald, making space for a snap shot but Lack was equal to it and when a 30 yard free kick found Elliott Ford he hit a great shot just inside the post but Lack dived full stretch to palm it away. However, the pressure eventually told and a strong run from Maxted left McDonald to beat his man and rifle the ball into the net to equalise.

The visitors, as in the first half, began to get the upper hand again with Jeremy causing the Monmouth defence all sorts of problems resulting in him being fouled on numerous occasions. The Dinas supporters thought their side must take the lead again when Gareth Tedstone was played in one on one with the keeper but Pass smothered his shot and the chance was gone.

With Bowen replacing Palmer and Maxted switching to the left Town at least tried to make more space to play and hope the ball would stick in advanced positions and although Town looked livelier the packed Dinas defence had a good day at the office.

The return is scheduled for Wednesday (2nd) at Dinas with a  6.45 kick off but weather forecasts leave that in doubt with Club Chairman Lee Robson in confident if frustrated mood “One more win does it but the weather has played havoc. We were all scheduled to finish nice and early, had a great run in and playing well on surfaces which were getting better. Now it’s like November!  Having said that we need one win from two games and I’m confident we can get it – whenever we end up playing!”. Three points. 


About the Author

Lee R

Member since: 30th April 2012

Hi I'm The Chairman of Monmouth Town Footabll Club. We are currently challenging for the Welsh League title - ranked in the top 20 clubs in Wales. We are proud to do our bit to make Monmouth the best of...

Popular Categories