St Wilfrid's Hospice
St Wilfrid's Hospice
  • 1 Broadwater Way
    East Sussex
    BN22 9PZ
St Wilfrid’s Hospice is a local charity providing skilled and compassionate care and treatment to adults living with a progressive, life-limiting illness. We support people at our purpose-built facility in Eastbourne and in people’s own homes across out catchment area, offering support when and where it is most needed.


We currently support around 2,350 local people every year and have been providing our services to a population of 245,000 in Eastbourne and the surrounding areas for over 40 years. Our vision is of a community where people talk openly about dying, live well until the end of their lives, and where nobody dies alone, afraid, or in pain.

Specialist teams support patients 24/7 in short stay Inpatient beds, a Living Well Centre, and in patients’ own homes. Our care encompasses the physical, emotional, spiritual, and social needs of the patient, and services include; physiotherapy, spiritual support, counselling, and art therapy.

All the care that we offer is free of charge, regardless of patients’ circumstances. It costs over £19,000 every day to run our hospice.

St Wilfrid’s receives around 30% of its funding from the NHS. The remaining 70% comes from our incredibly supportive and generous community.

St Wilfrid's Hospice - The Street Café

The Street Café is based in the heart of St Wilfrid’s Hospice and is open to everyone. It offers a light, open and warm space for patients, their friends and relatives, staff and volunteers, and the local community.

From delicious homemade cakes and coffees, to home-cooked hot meals and freshly prepared sandwiches, The Street Café boasts an array of culinary delights at fantastic prices. All the profits raised through the café go directly towards supporting patients and their families.

This wonderful space also regularly hosts musical performances or other creative events, showcasing local talent.

We hope that you will come in, enjoy a cup of tea, some food, and some music, and start to think differently about hospices. St Wilfrid’s is a very friendly, happy, and uplifting place to be. We are sure that your overwhelming impression will be of life being lived well.

How you can support local hospice care

There are many ways that you can support St Wilfrid’s Hospice and enable more people to live well at the end of their lives locally. You can donate via our website, by telephone, or by cheque, get involved with one of the many hospice events or undertake your own fundraising endeavour.

You can also play our lottery, visit our café, shop in one of our retail outlets, leave us a gift in your will, share our content on social media, or simply just spread the word about what we do!

It is a privilege to be part of such a creative, generous, and giving community, and we are incredibly grateful for all that you do.

Latest News & Updates

Covid-19 survivor takes on Starlight Stroll

Covid-19 survivor, Pam Baisden, will be taking on the Virtual Starlight Stroll from the 12th August Read article
Latest Events


A chance to run, walk or skip through all the colours of the rainbow and raise funds for hospice care. See event