Tom McDonald Avenue
Situated within the grounds of Ninewells Hospital, the Maggie's Centre in Dundee offers practical, emotional and social support to individuals with cancer, their families and friends. The service is free of charge and no GP referral is required.
Maggie Keswick Jencks: The Lady Behind the Legacy
In 1993, Maggie Keswick Jencks received some devastating news; her breast cancer had returned and at best she had 2-3 months to live. This inspirational lady went on to live for another 18 months despite the odds and during this time, worked closely with her husband and medical team, to create a new approach to cancer care. Her philosophy was that ‘people should not lose the joy of living through the fear of dying’ and so, in 1996 the first Maggie’s Centre opened in Edinburgh, to champion and support this very cause.
Warm and Welcoming
The Maggies Centre Dundee was designed by world famous architect Frank Gehry and opened in 2003. Instantly recognisable, the white building with wavy silver roof, is located by the entrance to the Ninewells A+E. The building is both light and spacious, which creates a warm and welcoming atmosphere for visitors. The Maggie’s Centre is a friendly place to meet other cancer patients, their relatives and friends. Free workshops, classes and events are scheduled for most week days and a mug of tea, friendly support and quality advice are always on offer.
Social support at the Maggie’s Centre in Dundee comes in a variety of formats which include;
- Support groups led by a qualified clinical psychologist.
- Networking groups, which bring together groups of individuals battling the same type of cancer.
- The opportunity to sit around the kitchen table and read a book, talk to others and de-stress.
- Gardening groups for those with green fingers.
- 6 week courses are offered to anyone caring for a cancer patient.
- Support groups for friends and family.
- Support for children who have a parent with cancer.
- Support for parents who have a child with cancer.
- Support during, before and after cancer treatment.
- Stress Management.
Emotional support is offered to individuals with cancer, their friends and family, before, during and after treatment. The support available includes;
- 6 week courses on stress-management for individuals, families and friends.
- Creative writing classes as a means of self-expression.
- Expressive art classes.
- Bereavement support.
- Support for young persons and children.
Staff at the Maggie’s Centre in Dundee offer practical support on matters including;
- Benefits advice.
- Health and diet.
- Hair loss support.
- Looking good and feeling better.
- Returning to work after cancer.
- Support for children, young adults, friends, family and cancer sufferers before, during and after treatment.
How You Can Help
If you are interested in supporting this very worthwhile, local cause, there are different ways to show you care.
- Take part in a fundraising event such as the ‘Monster Bike and Hike’, ‘The Spartan Race’ or if you are feeling particularly adventurous, why not go trekking in Uganda?
- Volunteer at the centre, an event or at the Maggie's office.
- Get your business involved; contact Corporate Partnership Teams to discuss opportunities.
- Create your own fundraiser; fancy dress, bake sales, sky diving? You decide!
- Sponsor a day at the Maggie’s Centre Dundee.
- Leave a gift in your will.
- Charitable trusts.
It costs £590, 000 to keep the Maggie’s Centre Dundee open for the year and every penny you donate goes directly to supporting the Centre and the individuals it serves. There are over 2 million individuals with cancer in the UK. We all know a friend or family member who has undergone treatment and battled with this challenging illness, all our lives are potentially bettered by the services the Maggie’s Centre Dundee offers, so please show your support for this special retreat in whatever way you can.
Tom McDonald Avenue
Dundee DD1 1NH
By clicking 'ACCEPT', you agree to the storing of cookies on your device to enhance site navigation, analyse
site usage, and assist in our marketing efforts.
Manage Privacy Settings
The following Cookies are used on this Site. Users who allow all the Cookies will enjoy the best
experience and all functionality on the Site will be available to you.
You can choose to disable any of the Cookies by un-ticking the box below but if you do so your
experience with the Site is likely to be diminished.
In order to interact with this site.
To help us to measure how users interact with content and pages on the Site so we can make