Driving abroad for your holidays this year? McCarthy Cars tells us what we need to know about Europe's road laws
6th May 2015
... Comments

So this year you're ditching the aeroplane and are making a road trip to Europe for your summer holidays...

But are you up to speed with the regulations of driving on the roads in Europe? Here's a handy guide from McCarthy Cars on the top important things you need to be aware of...

It's advisable to carry not just your own personal documents with you but also your vehicle documentation, just in case there's a problem while you're away. These documents include:

  • valid full (not provisional) driving licence
  • driving licence paper counterpart (see below) – if you have a photocard licence
  • an International Driving Permit (when necessary)
  • vehicle registration document (V5c) – the original not a copy
  • motor insurance certificate
  • passport(s)
  • your travel insurance documents
If you're driving in France, you should carry a breathalyser in the vehicle with you at all times. 

You must display a GB sicker on your vehicle - you could receive an on-the-spot fine if you don't comply.

Don't forget to also make sure you have at least one reflective jacket in your car.

Buy the stickers for your headlights that adjust the beam fo your headlights for driving on the different side of the road - this helps prevent oncoming drivers being dazzled by your lights.

Many European countries require visiting motorists to carry a warning triangle - be sure to double check your destination & countries through which you travel before you leave.

It's a good idea to invest in European breakdown cover before you head off, just for that added peace of mind in case the worst happens on your travels. You should also double check you car insurance to be sure that you're fully covered to drive abroad.

Makre sure your car toolkit is at full complement - things like first aid, torch & fire extinguisher, and of course a jack & your wheel removal tools are very important too.

Be prepared before you head out on the road!

About the Author

Maud T

Member since: 10th July 2012

Hi - me and my gang champion and promote the best businesses in the Croydon and Bromley Boroughs. If you are a local business owner, then we'd love to help you grow your profile, profits and get more business.

Popular Categories