Don't let it all go up in smoke!
30th November 2009
... Comments


Insurance companies are specifying that both domestic and commercial property owners should have up-to-date wiring tests to ensure they are fully compliant with the IEE Wiring Regulations BS 7671 (2008)  to ensure they are adequately covered and therefore properly insured. BS7671 refers to the periodic test and inspection of wiring which is a legal requirement for business premises. This also applies to landlords who let or sub-let and property sales. So if you’ve recently let or sub-let a property or are in the process of selling the property make sure you get the correct certification.

Nigel Paget of ANR Electrical of Bishop’s Stortford says that landlords often don’t realise that they need to have their wiring tested after each let in order that their insurance is valid. Aside from mandatory periodic business testing, he suggests that domestic users should also ask themselves the following questions to check whether they need to have their wiring tested:

  • Is your wiring more than 15 years old?
  • Has it been more than 10 years since it was checked?
  • Do you regularly suffer with fuses blowing?
  • Do you often use extension leads or adaptors?
  • Do you have round pin plugs and sockets?
  • Do your lights have twisted flexes?
  • Do your plugs, sockets or switches get hot?
  • Has electrical work been carried out by non-qualified persons?
  • Do you use electrically operated equipment outdoors?

If you answer yes to any of these questions then you are probably overdue for an inspection, contact Nigel Paget of ANR Electrical now for a free visual inspection of your wiring.

About the Author

Ian M

Member since: 10th July 2012

I've been running The Best of Bishop's Stortford since 2010 and I'm passionate about supporting all things local. In particular, we work hard to showcase the best local businesses who give the area it's...

Popular Categories