Businesses in the historic heart of Basingstoke are being offered a helping hand to make improvements to their premises.
The Top of the Town Grant Scheme will be launched by Basingstoke and Deane Borough Council on Monday 19 September in the third phase of the council’s rejuvenation of the popular area.
Small businesses and independent traders with shops and offices facing onto London Street, Winchester Street, Church Street, Winton Square, Cross Street, Wote Street and Market Place can apply for funding for up to half of the cost of the work to improve their appearance.
Last year, Top of the Town traders who were successfully awarded grants towards their building makeover included:
• Church Street Models, in Church Street, which reinstated the Victorian awning and replaced their lights.
• Premier, Winchester Street, which repaired their shop front. Work included replacement windows and three external doors with matching design and redecoration.
• Sansome & George, Winchester Street. The estate agent painted the first and second floor frontage of the building and repaired the timber shop front.
• SkoolKit, Church Street, which strengthened structural works as a result of water damage and regrouted doorway tiles.
• Foyles Newsagents in London Street who replaced signage and made repairs to the shop front.
• Chequers, Winton Square, which replaced rotten and damaged timber and redecorated the frontage.
• Basingstoke Service Centre in Winchester Street, which repaired its shop front and replaced signage.
• Tonic, in Winchester Street, who repaired, rendered and painted the side elevation of the building.
• The Cutting Lounge in Church Street, which replaced the existing door and window glazing.
This year, the council’s scheme has been expanded to include grants up to £7,500 to cover up to half the costs of work on the front and rear of premises, as well as interior fit outs. Businesses can also apply for a grant of £500 for specialist business support to help them grow their business or respond better to changing consumer habits.
The council’s Deputy Leader Cllr Terri Reid who is leading on the Top of the Town regeneration said: “We’re delighted to continue supporting businesses in the Top of the Town through our town centre improvement programme.
“By enabling local traders to repair and upgrade their premises, we’re helping to make our town's historic heart a more attractive shopping and leisure destination.
“The Top of the Town grant scheme has now been expanded to include interiors and business support, and I urge local owners to apply for the funding - it will make a real difference to your business and create a nicer environment for all.”
Basingstoke’s town centre is in a conservation area and the impact of any potential works on the local built environment will be carefully considered. The council is offering advice and guidance on eligibility, help with completing the grant application and information on acceptable design and materials.
The Top of the Town Grant Scheme will run until 31 March 2018. Businesses, landlords and owners can apply any time in this period, but work must be completed by 31 March 2018.
For further information visit www.basingstoke.gov.uk/towngrants
The following Cookies are used on this Site. Users who allow all the Cookies will enjoy the best experience and all functionality on the Site will be available to you.
You can choose to disable any of the Cookies by un-ticking the box below but if you do so your experience with the Site is likely to be diminished.
In order to interact with this site.
To help us to measure how users interact with content and pages on the Site so we can make things better.
To show content from Google Maps.
To show content from YouTube.
To show content from Vimeo.
To share content across multiple platforms.
To view and book events.
To show user avatars and twitter feeds.
To show content from TourMkr.
To interact with Facebook.
To show content from WalkInto.