Worthing FC 5 - 0 YMCA
1st September 2010
... Comments

After a strong performance against Arundel in the FA Cup, John Lansdale started on the righ hand side for Worthing and Luke Gedling returned to the centre of midfield. Matt Geard was also given his first start of the season, playing just behind front man Terry Dodd who had netted a hat-trick just 48 hours previously.

Dodd had two good early chances to open his account once again within the first ten minutes, but initially miscued his volley wide of the target. John Lansdale then picked out the striker with a hige throw in from the halfway line, but he lobbed wide of the far post.

Captain Tony Timms then headed wide from another Lansdale throw, which could prove to be a useful asset this season, before Matt Geard scuffed a chance to break the deadlock following good work by Steve Metcalf and Tom Lawley's cross.

The visitors had a chance of their own on 17 minutes though as sloppy defending let in former Rebel Gavin Gordon, but his chip was easily cleared to safety. Dodd then headed wide and Luke Gedling had a strike from distance saved by the goalkeeper for the home side, before Gavin Gordon headed a good opportunity straight at Michael Hunter for YMCA.

Just past the half hour mark Terry Dodd scrambled just wide of the near post, prior to a major turning point in the game. Horsham YMCA's Grant Ludford was given a straight red card by referee J. Pike with over 55 minutes of the march still to play, and the Rebels quickly began to dominate the game.

Matt Geard headed over and John Lansdale dragged wide before in the 37th minute Tom Lawley found Terry Dodd in the penaly area, and he headed Worthing into the lead. A few minutes later a Lansdale half volley was pushed away by goalkeeper Sam Freeman, but from the resulting corner the ball fell to Geard who blasted into the far corner.

HALF TIME: Worthing 2-0 Horsham YMCA

The visitors made a change at the break with Jensen Grant replacing striker Gavin Gordon in what apeared to be a delayed reshuffle after the red card. The move ensured that YMCA created very few second half chances though, and it took until beyond the hour mark for the Rebels to capitalise, bar Terry Dodd's lob seconds after the restart which fell wide of the mark.

With 62 minutes played Worthing thought that they had added a third, but Dodd was penalised for a foul on goalkeeper Sam Freeman after John Lansdale had tapped into an empty net. Freeman then saved a Lansdale chip from the edge of the box and a powered strike by Dodd as the home side looked to secure victory.

Dodd finally did add a second to his tally in the 67th minute though when Matt Geard picked him out with a low cross following a good move involving Mike Huckett. With the Rebels now creating opportunities every minute. Mark Pulling and Callum Saunders were introduced to the match.

The pick of the goals came on 72 minutes as Mike Huckett opened his competitive Worthing account with a wonderful solo move. The midfielder collected the ball on the edge of the area with a perfect first touch before a good bit of skill beat two YMCA defenders. He then cleverly committed the goalkeeper, rounded him too, and fired into the net.

Three minutes later there was another contender for move of the match though as John Lansdale picked out substiture Dan White with a well judged long ball. White held it up before returning to Lansdale who then picked out Dodd in the penalty area, but his shot fell wide of the far post.

On 76 minutes the officials missed a tussle involving Dan White and a Horsham YMCA defender, during which Worthing forward was head-butted, and both escaped without a booking.

There were a couple of other Worthing chances before in the 90th minute Callum Saunders found Terry Dodd who tapped in from close range for his sixth goal in the last two matches. He should have added another with just seconds of three minutes of added time remaining, but stumbled and shot straight at the goalkeeper from close range with some Rebels supporters shouting for a penalty.

The game finished with the home side five goal winners though, just one shy of the 6-0 victory over County League side Arundel in the FA Cup, however the dismissal of Horsham YMCA's Grant Ludford clearly had a big impact on the game.

FULL TIME: Worthing 5-0 Horsham YMCA

Popular Categories