Match Report From Worthing Rebels vs Corinthian Casuals
16th December 2011
... Comments

The dual curses of a road traffic accident affecting Rebels players and supporters travelling to the game and conceding a late equaliser in added on time both struck again in this trip to Corinthian Casuals.  The Rebels have now dropped 8 points from 4 of the 5 drawn matches they’ve played in this season.

In truth Worthing didn’t do enough for 3 points but having got their noses in front for the first time in the match with just 10 minutes to go, the match was there for the taking.
The match was played on an excellent looking pitch given all the recent rain although there was a blustery wind and it was a pretty cold evening.

The Rebels kicked into the wind in the first half and took a while to get going whilst the Casuals were quick out of the blocks.  Mike Huckett had Rebels first chance when he shot wide before Casuals opened the scoring in the 10th minute when Steve Barilli beat the offside trap and slotted home from 12 yards.

Glen Woodburn was booked for a foul and from the following free-kick Alan Mansfield had to punch clear.  Casuals were creating a number of half chances but fortunately weren’t able to hit their target.

The Rebels equalised and went ahead with 2 goals in the space of 3 minutes.  Firstly a Brotherton free-kick wasn’t cleared and the chance fell to Ryan McBride who made no mistake with the finish.  This was followed by a wonderful flowing move when Tom Lawley drove through the middle of the park at pace, passed the ball out wide to Tom Manton whose first time cross was chested and then hammered into the goal.

Casuals Saheed Sankoh scored a great individual goal from 25 yards which gave Mansfield no chance before Steve Goddard headed unchallenged over the bar and Dave Hodges had a shot saved.

HT 2 – 2

Early in the second half, Brotherton had a cross shot just over the bar whilst Sankoh hit the outside of the post having beaten skipper Manton too easily.

Huckett and Brotherton were replaced by Luke Gedling and Steve Davies in the last quarter of the match and Paul Kennett and McBride found their way into the Referees notebook for a foul and dissent.

Whilst there was a lot of huff and puff from both sides there wasn’t too much quality on the park.  Rebels managed to sneak in front when a Lawley left foot shot was deflected and saved by Matt Mann in the Casuals goal but he only succeeded in giving the ball to McBride who tapped in from close in.
Two minutes later another Lawley run and left foot shot was again saved by Mann.

In added on time, the Casuals managed to cross from the left and Goddard was able to force the ball home at the far post for a deserved equaliser.

Rebels are at home to Maidstone on Saturday.

FT 3 – 3

Att 77

Mansfield, Lansdale, Metcalfe, Kennett, Hurley, Woodburn, Brotherton, Huckett, McBride, Manton, Lawley.  Subs – Gedling (Huckett), Davies (Brotherton), Charles, Pulling, Franks.

About the Author

thebestofworthing .

Member since: 10th July 2012

We promote everything that's great about Worthing & the surrounding areas including Shoreham, Lancing, Worthing all the way to Arundel.

We champion and showcase only the best local independent businesses....

Popular Categories