Affordable Homes Given the Go-Ahead
25th May 2010
... Comments

The newest council scheme has been approved as part of a £93 million project that aims to build almost 500 affordable homes across Westminster. This follows an award of £36 million, which was given by the Homes and Community Agency to Westminster City Council to  help fund this vital new work. The two new three storey homes will be built on the junction of Sixth Avenue and Droop Street in Queen's Park. The new homes will be managed by CityWest Homes, who currently run the council's stock of 22,00 houses.

This new housing is much needed in Westminster and is the largest programme of its type in London since the 1970's. The project will help to revive under-used sites on existing estates and tacle overcrowding in Westminster.

Under the new scheme, 43% of the new homes will be set aside for social rent, whilst the other 57% will have at least three bedrooms, making them suitable for families. A third of the new buildings will be available for shared ownership or subsided rents under the market value, whilst another third will be sold to help fund the project.  

Rosemary Westbrook, Westminster Council's director of housing, said: "We are very pleased that this second scheme has been approved as this is another step in increasing the number of affordable homes in Westminster.  These two large homes will benefit overcrowded families and in the coming months we will continue to work on proposals for the other sites in consultation with residents."


Popular Categories