Tips of the week from Ace Handyman; Do you know where to turn off your services?
25th March 2011
... Comments

Two questions we most often ask when we get to a client’s house are, ”Where is your stopcock?” and “Where is your fusebox?”

You would be surprised at how many people do not know where these are in their house or flat.  It doesn’t matter if you are renting or mortgaged, not knowing where the basics for turning it all off can be crucial.

So, now before you do anything else, and especially before you go off to a DIY store to buy anything, go and first find out where your stopcock and fusebox are located.

Stopcocks are usually (but not always!) under the kitchen sink.

Your fusebox, or RCD or Consumer unit as it is now more properly known will normally be located somewhere near to where your mains electricity cable comes into the property.

If your washing machine, or dishwasher, floods, or, even if you only need to change a tap washer you’ll need to know where to turn off your water.  And, if you do get a flood it’s a wise precaution to turn off your electric too – after all, we all know that water and electricity do not mix.

Knowing where these are can save you time, money, and, in some instances could save your life.

This handy tip was brought to you by Paul Raubusch, AceHandyman, (07786 565150 / /

About the Author

Paul R

Member since: 1st April 2011

Shelves to put up? Fences to fix? Flat pack assembly furniture to assemble? Ace Handyman can help you, call 07786 565150 or email on No job...

Popular Categories