Cambourne Timebank is a local network of people who exchange time and skills. Timebank members give and receive help with others in the Cambourne area. One member could earn credits by helping a neighbour with their shopping then spend their credits having their garden tidied up. We have even linked up with local community organisations and businesses to provide links to local services and events, legal advice and sports activities.
1. Timebanking is flexible: There is no minimum time commitment, you can both give and receive hours at times that suit you so it fits around your lifestyle.
2. Timebanking is safe: The Coordinator takes up character references for each member. Disclosure and Barring checks will be carried out for those regularly supporting older or vulnerable people.
3. Everyone has something to give: You don’t need any specialist skills – if English is your first language then you can help someone practice English conversation skills, if you know how to use a computer you can show someone else how to set up email or facebook or search the Internet. Whether it’s making a phone call to offer companionship, teaching someone to knit or doing some weeding, we all have skills we can share.
4. Elderly, disabled and housebound people can give: some members help from their own home by baking cakes, writing newsletter articles or sharing stories and advice.
5. No money is exchanged: The only currency is hours. Everyone’s time is equal: whatever is exchanged, one hour equals one hour
6. Timebanking is developing stronger communities: Timebanking is about bringing people together to build stronger, safer and happier communities. It’s an approach that’s becoming more and more popular across the UK and is transforming people’s lives.
7. Timebanking improves health and well being: Chris suffers from anxiety and she used to struggle to talk to strangers. Since joining the Timebank, Chris has been going to coffee mornings and making new friends, doing ironing and sewing for members and volunteering at the Church café. She says ‘It has rebuilt my confidence and made me realise, I can do anything I put my mind to!”
8. Timebanking can help when starting a business: Kelly had recently trained as a beauty therapist when she joined Cambourne Timebank. She found that it offered her the opportunity to develop both her skills and confidence “The Timebank has given me the chance to perfect my skills and spread the word about my business. I have been able to spend the time credits to develop my business; gaining help with designing business cards and IT skills”
9. Businesses can join as Timebank members: Businesses may be able to offer a room to hold a meeting or event and in return Timebank members can deliver leaflets advertising the business. Staff members could also become individual members of the Timebank. It can be a great way to give something back to your community and engage with a wider group of people who live around you.
10. Spend you hours on free cinema tickets: We’ve teamed up with Spice Time Credits so you can take your hours as Time Credit notes, which can be spent at participating leisure facilities. Two Time Credits will get you an off-peak cinema ticket at The Light Cinema. One Time Credit will get you in to a show at the ADC theatre. Parkside and Abbey pools are part of the scheme, which is national as well as local, so you could take the family on a day out to the Tower of London and pay for the entry with Time Credits.
The following Cookies are used on this Site. Users who allow all the Cookies will enjoy the best experience and all functionality on the Site will be available to you.
You can choose to disable any of the Cookies by un-ticking the box below but if you do so your experience with the Site is likely to be diminished.
In order to interact with this site.
To help us to measure how users interact with content and pages on the Site so we can make things better.
To show content from Google Maps.
To show content from YouTube.
To show content from Vimeo.
To share content across multiple platforms.
To view and book events.
To show user avatars and twitter feeds.
To show content from TourMkr.
To interact with Facebook.
To show content from WalkInto.