James Wronski here, Head Chek from Tewkesbury Park Hotel.
October has already reminded us that autumn (in fact it feels like winter in some parts already!) is firmly upon us. With that in mind this week's recipe is for a lovely warming Beef Stew.
• 2kg stewing beef, cut into cubes
• 200g bacon
• Splash of olive oil or vegetable oil
• Peel 150g baby onions
• 2009 button mushrooms left whole
• salt and pepper
• 1 tbsp chopped parsley
• 1 tbsp chopped thyme
• 2 cloves of garlic crushed and chopped
• 425ml of red wine
• 425ml beef stock or chicken stock ( get this from your supermarket)
1. Brown the beef and bacon in the oil in a hot casserole dish or thick bottom pan
2. Remove the meat and colour the onions, mushrooms one ingredient at a time
3. Place all the ingredients back in the casserole dish or pan , along with the herbs and garlic.
4. Cover with red wine and stock and simmer for one hour or until the meat and vegetables are tender.
5. When the stew is cooked, remove the meat and vegetables.
6. Bring the remaining liquid to the boil and thicken with a flour and water(make a paste and gradually add whilst whisking until liquid thickens slightly)
7. Replace the meat and vegetables, and taste for seasoning.
8. Serve with mash potato or rice
I hope that this helps to keep these dreary days at bay, and who knows we might get some more sunshine still!
Until next time....
Member since: 2nd November 2011
Hi. We are Trehane & Debbie and together form thebestoftewkesbury. We are keen to hear from anyone interested in becoming a blog author on this site. Please feel free to contact us to discuss further.
The following Cookies are used on this Site. Users who allow all the Cookies will enjoy the best experience and all functionality on the Site will be available to you.
You can choose to disable any of the Cookies by un-ticking the box below but if you do so your experience with the Site is likely to be diminished.
In order to interact with this site.
To help us to measure how users interact with content and pages on the Site so we can make things better.
To show content from Google Maps.
To show content from YouTube.
To show content from Vimeo.
To share content across multiple platforms.
To view and book events.
To show user avatars and twitter feeds.
To show content from TourMkr.
To interact with Facebook.
To show content from WalkInto.