Home Insurance: What You Need When it Comes to Buildings and Contents Cover
19th November 2019
... Comments

The thing about insurance is that you will never think you need it until you really do and the right level of home insurance can save you from a disaster, literally.

For most people their home is their biggest asset, accounting for a major part of their income and it is also their sanctuary, the part of the world that is theirs.

If cracks should suddenly start to appear in that secure haven – metaphorically or physically – you would soon start to panic. Flooding, storm damage and one-off events such as a fire could very quickly put a question mark over the future of your home.

With the correct building insurance in place you can be safe in the knowledge that the problem will be dealt with and, more importantly, paid for.

It is not only bricks and mortar that make a home though; it is also what’s inside. Every part of your home you have worked hard for so it is important that you protect that.

Whether you are considering buying a home, moving house, upgrading your cover or renewing your home insurance make sure the deal is right for you.

Building insurance

Building insurance is usually a legal requirement when getting a mortgage as it covers the cost of rebuilding your home should that ever be needed.

The cost of the policy will largely depend on how much it would cost to rebuild your home so it is important that this value is correct.

Building insurance will also cover structural issues, which can prove to be a major expense if something goes wrong including:

  • Subsidence
  • Fire
  • Flooding
  • Damage to kitchen and bathroom fixtures
  • Windows and doors


Accidental damage can also be covered by buildings insurance for life’s expensive mishaps.

Imagine putting the finishing touches to your pristine home and accidentally smashing a nail into the water mains! These things don’t happen every day but when they do they cause a real mess.

As long as it is a genuine accident and not the result of wear and tear or cutting costs when using tradesmen you should be covered.

Having the right insurance in place will mean that you can get the job fixed without having to worry about the expense. Some insurance policies will also provide accommodation should it be needed.

Contents insurance

People will spend thousands and thousands of pounds furnishing their home and adding the latest technology.

Consider the value of your personal items –clothes, jewellery, bicycles and ornaments. Every little thing we spend money on adds up to a small fortune when taken as a whole. If something was to happen to take this away from you would you be able to replace it?

Contents cover will either pay out based on the value of the possessions lost or ruined, or pay the cost of a replacement depending on the policy you have.

With contents insurance it is worth getting a policy that includes accidental damage as this is most likely to result in a claim rather than fire or theft.

If you have children the chances of them causing an eye-watering amount of damage at some point in their formative years is quite high. That dreaded moment when a stray football heads towards a priceless antique, or a deceptively heavy plastic toy is launched square on at the new TV – and that is before we get onto phones being flushed down the toilet and iPads dropped down the stairs! Accidents can be pricey.

It’s not just children who are the culprits though. Many households have seen a carefully planned and applied paint job descend into chaos when a can of paint is accidentally kicked over destroying the carpet, or have had to watch in horror as a laptop descends towards the hard kitchen floor.  

Accidents happen, so be thankful for the accidental damage cover in contents insurance.

While most homes will find adequate cover in buildings and contents insurance more specialised insurance can offer cover to landlords and for high value or ‘non-standard’ items.

Getting the right deal

To get the right deal on your home insurance package speak to an insurance adviser who will be able to explain which level of cover is most suited to your needs.

AMG Financial Solutions in Staffordshire can provide expert advice on home and contents insurance to make sure you have peace of mind that your home is protected.

To find the right building and contents insurance solution for your home, contact AMG Financial Solutions - Staffordshire on 01785 225983 or email stafford@amgfs.co.uk.


About the Author


Member since: 25th September 2012

At thebestof we go out of our way to champion thebest businesses in each town and city across the UK.

Popular Categories