Skerries for Schools (S4S) is a new local charity that gets young people out on the river and teached them how to be safe on and near water, as well as how to row and the history of their environment.
S4S are looking for local business to take part in the The Great River Race 2016. The GRR is London's river marathon, it's an annual race that starts in Millwall (Canary Wharf) and Finishes at Ham House - a distance of just 21 miles.
This is great opportunity for local business to support a great new local charity, whilst at the same time providing an excellent and unique experience for their workmates.
More details of the charity can be found here.
We hope to raise much needed funds so we can expand in 2016 and teach even more school students how to row, how to stay safe on the river and how their environment formed around the River Thames.
To do this, we are going to 'lend out' our boats (in return for a charitable donation and some fundraising) to local businesses so that they can race in The Great River race on 3rd September 2016.
Companies and local groups with a sense of adventure, and that are willing to raise money for us, who might like to take one of our boats are asked to contact S4S via email.
Each Skerry requires a crew of 10 (8 rowing, 1 cox and 1 passenger), so ideal for a workforce team building event etc. and rowing is suitable for both women and men alike and they can compete with other crews. They are great for pople of ALL abilities so no one will feel excluded.
Each S4S package will comprise of:
The S4S Skerry Package
- 1 x Skerry, fully equipped with oars and rudder for the day of the GRR (3rd September 2016).
- Tow of the boat from Richmond to the start of the GRR.*
- Race entry to the GRR for a crew of 10 adults.*
- Bus travel to the start of the GRR from Richmond with the RBBC.*
- Unlimited weekday evening training sessions in your boat from Richmond.*
- First call on your boat for other races such as The Great Skerry Race (Hammersmith to Ham - 9 Miles - Early July) and The Round The Islands Race (Richmond Bridge to Richmond Bridge - 8 Miles - Mid August)*
- Two coaching sessions (A British Rowing Learn to Row course) with our S4S coaches to ensure that your crew are both confident and competent to handle the S4S skerry and understand the GRR rules and safety conditions (essential & great fun too).
- Race Insurance.
- Invite to After Race Party and BBQ at the Richmond Bridge Boat Club.
- A personal contact from S4S for each crew, who will handle all aspects of the event for you, including registartion and pre registration, collecting of flags and race numbers etc.
We also request that all crews consider raising additional charitable donations for S4S (as their main race charity) as part of their row and to use S4S branding where suitable to promote our work getting young people out enjoying the river and keeping healthy.
Member since: 10th July 2012
I launched The Best of Richmond in 2005 and am passionate about supporting all things local. In particular, we work hard to showcase the best local businesses who give the borough its character and make...
The following Cookies are used on this Site. Users who allow all the Cookies will enjoy the best experience and all functionality on the Site will be available to you.
You can choose to disable any of the Cookies by un-ticking the box below but if you do so your experience with the Site is likely to be diminished.
In order to interact with this site.
To help us to measure how users interact with content and pages on the Site so we can make things better.
To show content from Google Maps.
To show content from YouTube.
To show content from Vimeo.
To share content across multiple platforms.
To view and book events.
To show user avatars and twitter feeds.
To show content from TourMkr.
To interact with Facebook.
To show content from WalkInto.