Last time we discussed what foods are forbidden to diabetics. Today we will discuss what are allowed.
Foods you can eat or use:
• Sesame seed oil, walnuts, flax and hemp are high in omega -3 and also very high in antioxidants- can be used in salad dressings
• Unsalted Raw Nuts and Seeds – Walnuts, Almonds etc, (but not peanuts, cashew nuts).
• Walnuts are exceptionally high in monounsaturated fats and the omega 3 fatty acid, alpha-linolenic acid. The ALA reduced cholesterol and fats in the blood and also C-reactive protein (CRP), an inflammatory marker associated with heart disease. Additionally walnuts combine these heart healthy fats with a hefty dose of the antioxidants including at least 16 antioxidant phenols, Vitamin E and ellagic and gallic acid. In 1993, The New England Journal of Medicine reported that eating 8-16 walnuts per day decreased total and LDL cholesterol by 5-10% and reduced the incidence of stroke and clogging of arteries up to 70%.
• Almonds: researchers found that eating 100grams of almonds a day reduced the LDL and total cholesterol level but the glycemic control was unaffected. Almonds have Vitamin E, magnesium and fiber – all important in protecting against diabetes.
• Jacket potato using sweet potatoes (baked or boiled) preferably for main meal (dinner) with raw or vegetables not cooked over 46 °C (115 °F).. Avoid brown whole meal bread with this meal (starch from the potato is enough for the meal). White potatoes have a higher Glycemic Index than Sweet Potatoes. GI 69 versus 44 respectively.
• Kelp: The best of the sea vegetables (commonly known as sea weed). The one that contains the most nutrients. Kelp contains more than 60 minerals and elements, 21 amino acids, simple and complex carbohydrates and several essential plant growth hormones.
• Whole meal Brown Bread – make sure it contains no sugar in the ingredients, as some bread makers do put sugar.
• Brown or Red Rice
• Fruits : Non sweet fruits : Tomatoes, Avocados, Cucumber, Red Pepper, Lemons, Lime, Peach, Grapefruit, Apple, Pear (one only at a time), Cherries (up to 10 only), Blueberries, Raspberries, fresh and unsweetened Cranberries, Pomegranate, Goji Berries
• All vegetables such as Kale, Romaine lettuce etc (except cooked carrots and cooked beets)
• All sea vegetables
• Fats and Oils: Flax oil, Hemp oil, Sesame oil, Walnut, Almond, Sunflower, Avocado, Coconut (not more than 1 tablespoon per day). Extra Virgin Olive oil can be applied to the salad but not used for cooking, as at high temperatures, it becomes carcinogenic.
• Super foods: Klamath Lake blue-green Algaes (E-3Live is the most active), Spirulina, Chlorella, Green super food powder mixes
• Salt: Himalayan and Celtic sea salt
• Grains: Quinoa, Buckwheat, Millet, Amaranth, Spelt, Brown Rice (long grain better), Bulgur, Coucous
• Fermented and cultured foods: Apple Cider Vinegar, Miso (non- soy), Sauerkraut, Probiotic non-dairy drinks. (A dietary supplement containing live bacteria or yeast that supplements normal gastrointestinal flora, given especially after depletion of flora caused by infection or ingestion of an antibiotic drug.)
• Raw chocolate bar made from cacao – the plant whose seeds (cocoa) makes the chocolate
• Live chocolate cakes, Carrot cakes, Live cheese cakes
• Flax crackers, Nut and Seed Crackers and Breads
• Buckwheat, live granola
• Green smoothies
• Dehydrated foods
• Filtered water
• Fruit juices- preferably low glycemic, green vegetable juice.
• Teas: Herbal non caffeinated teas and fresh vegetable juices
• Sweeteners: Stevia, Agave nectar syrup, Licorice root, Carob, Chia seed, Mesquite, Cardamom.
• Oils: cold pressed oils: Coconut, Flax, Hemp, Sesame, Almond, Sunflower, Avocado,
• Legumes: Boiled: Chick peas, Black eye beans, Kidney beans, Lentils
• Boiled barley
• Pasta –Spirali with Durum wheat, Noodles, Spaghetti
• Boiled Yams, Boiled Cassava, Sweet Potatoes
• Dried Apricots
• Boiled sweet corn on the cob boiled for 20 mins
• Raw Mango
• Dairy FREE spread, such as “PURE” or “VITALITE” brands – for your bread, cooking etc
You now have enough information to get better control of your diabetes. If you wish to discuss further about your diabetes, feel free to contact me either via email, phone or skype (username: UKHOMOEOPATH). I offer online consultation for anyone who is either far away or unable to travel.
I wish you all good health.
Member since: 18th May 2012
Mohamed Caffoor RHom,MARH,FBIH,BSc, registered homeopath.
Homeopathy great for emotional issues: anxiety, depression, fear, etc.
Reverse diabetes with homeopathy.
FREE initial chat via phone/skype(UKHOMOEOPATH).