Malvern RFC
22nd November 2011
... Comments


Malvern 42 Broadstreet 25

Malvern looked to climb back to mid table against a Broadstreet side which has struggled this season and duly delivered. However it was the Coventry team who went ahead with a 4th minute penalty from stand off Scott Harman after Malvern infringed at the first scrum. It didn’t take long for the home side to redress the balance, as Adam Dixon’s penalty gave them a lineout 8 metres from the Street line. Tom Longley’s break took him to the try line, the ball was rucked back quickly and Nick Miller, returning from a long injury lay-off, took the ball at pace to power over for the lead. The Malvern pack signalled their intent by putting in a 20 metre driving maul, something rarely seen against the beefy Broadstreet unit, taking them to the line once more. After a 5 metre scrum full back Luke Milton hit the ruck, the ball was recycled and Longley found a gap to score and give Dixon the conversion. Broadstreet pulled back three points with another penalty on 20 minutes from Harman’s boot, but a minute later their forwards went over the top of a ruck and Dixon restored the 9 point gap. He was then sin binned for a late tackle and although Harman’s penalty fell short the ball was knocked on behind the Malvern line to give Street a 5 metre scrum and they retained possession until prop Ben Dawes went over for the try. Still a man down, Malvern stuck to the running game, moving the ball quickly along the line, Miller and Billig making frequent inroads. The forwards put in another driving maul and Chris Griffiths came off the back to feed James Southall for a score on 33 minutes, but on the stroke of half time another two needless penalties were conceded to let Broadstreet drive over for a score from number 8 Chris Zutic, Harman converting. Although Malvern had looked in command, they turned round with only a two point advantage.  

This was soon increased as Adam Dixon put over a 38 metre penalty five minutes into the half, then three minutes later Adam Billig intercepted and ran in from his own 22 to give Dixon the easy extras. The purple patch continued on 51 minutes when Miller was again involved and flanker Simon Daws sped through the gaping defence to finish what was arguably the move of the day. Dixon’s boot was again sure and Malvern were now 19 points clear. As the changes were rung and the tenacious Broadstreet pack reverted to an old style Coventrian game of attrition, things became a little scrappy for twenty minutes. A mixture of injuries and a yellow card for each side saw the last 10 minutes played by Street’s 14 men against Malvern’s 13, and the visiting scrum half, the impressive Nick Thatcher, scored with 4 minutes left. Malvern had the last word as they stole the ball and Southall added another try in the corner in the last minute to cement an impressive victory against a side which always makes it difficult to play expansive rugby. The fact that Malvern could do so was testament to the work put in on the training field and the collective will to win shown by the players on the park.

Malvern now have a week’s recuperation ahead of the away visit to Hinckley on 3rd December, whilst supporters have the chance to watch the emerging talent as the Development XV face Pershore 1sts at Spring Lane this Saturday, kick off 2.15pm.


About the Author

Suzanne K

Member since: 10th July 2012

Suzanne Korb was born in Hawaii, raised in the American state of Utah and has been living and writing fiction and non in Malvern for over 11 years.

Popular Categories