Redruth 17 Macclesfield 17
15th April 2011
... Comments


Macclesfield were denied a second straight victory in National League One this weekend by relegation threatened Redruth with the game ending 17-17.


The Blues travelled to the South West on the back of last week’s six try victory against Rosslyn Park and were out to avenge the defeat suffered earlier in the season to Redruth at Priory Park. The home team were desperately in need of a win after last week’s 52-5 loss to Cambridge and with games running out their survival is still not confirmed.


Macclesfield took control from the kick off and made a bright start to the game, they were enjoying the majority of possession but dogged defence from the home team prevented any kind of break through.


The deadlock was eventually broken after 18 minutes when Macc conceded a penalty 20 metres from goal and Reds fly half Aaron Penberthy stepped up and gave Redruth a 3-0 lead. This gave the home side confidence and they began to play a more open game and started to believe they could cause an upset.


The Reds were pegged back on the half hour when Pete Allen claimed a knock down from a Blues line out and carried the ball over the line, full back Ross Winney was unable to convert but Macc now lead 5-3.


With just a minute left to play in the first half Redruth winger Tom Notman scored arguably the try of game, sprinting 40 metres down the right wing and beating the Macc defence. Penberthy added the extras and Redruth went in at the break leading 10-5.


The Blues emerged in the second half in more confident mood and took the game to the home side, with the forwards exerting heavy pressure on the Reds defensive line. Redruth were confined to their own half and it looked like only a matter of time until the Blues broke through.


The pressure paid off and Macclesfield scored their second try of the game through Captain Evan Stewart after 58 minutes, with kicking conditions proving tough Winney once again failed to convert but Macc were now back on level terms at 10-10.


Macclesfield could sense victory and continued to attack; the Reds were struggling to cope with the pace of Macc’s attack and were once again punished just four minutes later, when centre Jack Moorhouse touched the ball down in the corner. Winney this time converted and Macc had a seven point lead.


To their credit Redruth kept fighting and went on the attack knowing that this was a game that they could not afford to lose. They got their reward on the 70 minute mark when the impressive Tom Duncan carried over and Penberthy converted to level the scores.


In the closing stages of the game both teams went for the win and with six added minutes on the clock it was anybody’s game. Penberthy attempted a drop at the death but sliced it wide and the ref called time on a thrilling encounter.


By Patrick Giffney

Popular Categories