The school building opened to pupils for the first time on 27th August 1873. There were then two schools; one for boys and the other for girls, until the schools were joined together to become mixed in 1931. The school then had 313 juniors and 173 infants. Today there are 220 in the main school and 52 part-time pupils in the nursery. Some parents and grandparents may know us as St. Helen's Street School. The name was changed to Abercrombie to avoid confusion with the Girl's High School when it adopted the name St. Helena. Our school split into 7 classes and the nursery.The school is situated in between Victoria Street and St. Helen's Street.The school field is 400 metres from the school itself and one day will be the location for our new school.