York City v Chesterfield FC Report
29th January 2014
... Comments
Chesterfield cruise to a 2-0 victory against York City at Bootham Crescent.
The opening goal came two minutes in, as Eoin Doyle’s powerful shot evaded Nick Pope in the York goal. The second and final goal came courtesy of Gary Roberts, after he received a low pass from Dan Gardner and calmly converted under pressure.
Spireites boss Paul Cook named an unchanged side for the short trip to York from the 3-1 away win at Northampton last Saturday.
Within minutes of kick-off, Chesterfield took the lead. A through-ball from Gary Roberts found Doyle on the edge of the hosts’ area and the Irishman fired the ball into the top right-hand corner of the net. Roberts nearly doubled the away side’s advantage only to be denied by a magnificent save from Pope.
A bright start from the Spireites left the home side stranded in their own half of the field. Doyle broke free of the opposition defence once again, but this time the flag was raised for off-side.
Lanre Oyebanjo’s low shot was superbly pushed behind for a corner-kick by Chesterfield goalkeeper Tommy Lee. With 41 minutes on the clock, Chesterfield scored their second goal of the night. Dan Gardner led the counter-attack whilst avoiding several challenges in the process, and fed the ball to Roberts who finished smartly to cap off an impressive first 45 minutes for the Spireites.
One minute of additional time was signalled at the end of the first-half.
After the restart, Doyle lost his marker but his effort was tame and held comfortably. Roberts was then awarded a yellow card for kicking the ball into the York net after play had already been stopped.
York’s Oyebanjo was then replaced by recent loan acquisition Will Hayhurst, whilst Jay O’Shea took to the field in place of Gardner for the away side.
Three minutes had passed before the visitors’ Marc Richards replaced Banks. The first contribution to the game from Richards was a controversial penalty appeal after the striker went to ground in the hosts’ area, but the referee decided against awarding a spot-kick.
A lull in proceedings followed, with the majority of play taking place in the middle of the field. With 16 minutes of normal time left to play, Michael Coulson replaced Ryan Bowman.
Moments later, the visitors’ Sam Hird took to the field in place of Roberts. Richards cut inside and unleashed a rocket-of-a-shot which was held by Pope.
With eight minutes left to play, York substitute Hayhurst recieved a yellow card for a cynical foul on Sam Morsy. Another alteration for the Minstermen resulted in David McGurk leaving the field in order for Tom Platt to take his place.
It was then announced that there would be four minutes of additional time.
There wasn’t one chance to speak of in added time, as Chesterfield took their place at the summit of League Two.
About the Author

Ben Littlewood

Member since: 18th August 2013


Popular Categories