This is a reminder courtesy of Derbyshire Police, to consider your vehicle’s security whenever it is left unattended.
A number of vehicles in the area have been targeted by opportunist thieves, please take a few simple steps to help prevent your vehicle being targeted. All of which may sound like common sense but are easy to forget and let's not give thieves an easy ride!
• Most important is to lock your vehicle when you leave it, even if it is only for a short time.
• Leave nothing on view. Tools, sat-navs, laptops, sunglasses, clothing, other personal effects, or even loose change.
• If you use a sat-nav remove the cradle it sits on and the power cable when you have finished with it. Even a sucker mark on the window may be enough to cause you window to be smashed & glove box searched.
• Try to remove all items from your vehicle when you leave it at night & consider the value of any items you have in your glove box. You could leave your glove box open to show there is nothing of value within.
• If you can, park on your drive or in your garage, or make sure you park in a well lit area on the street.
• Never leave your car running whilst nipping to the shop or to defrost on a cold morning.
• Consider using a steering lock.
• Keep your vehicle keys in a secure location. Avoid putting them near a door where they can be fished through a letter box or on a bunch of keys in the house door lock.
A damaged vehicle door or smashed side window can be quite expensive to repair & may cost more than the items taken from a vehicle. If you see anyone acting suspiciously in your area or have any information regarding these incidents please call Derbyshire Police on 101.
[Information courtesy of Derbyshire Police]
Member since: 9th July 2012
Hi I'm Emma and I am passionate about all things Chesterfield. I hope you enjoy reading my blogs and find them to be interesting. I would love you to add your personal comments to them