Plymouth Argyle v Chesterfield FC Report
19th March 2014
... Comments
Chesterfield suffer 2-1 defeat at Plymouth.
Two goals from Argyle’s Reuben Reid either side of an equalising goal from Ritchie Humphreys was enough for John Sheridan’s men to claim victory over his former club.
Spireites boss Paul Cook named an unchanged side from Saturday’s 3-0 victory at home to Oxford for the long trip to Devon.
The first opportunity of this contest fell to the feet of Andres Gurrieri, but the Argentine’s effort on the half-volley sailed high and wide of the crossbar. Marc Richards broke free of the hosts’ defence, but failed to find a pass across goal towards a fellow member of the attack.
With 28 minutes on the clock, the home side took the lead courtesy of Reid’s low finish from an awkward angle after picking up possession on the edge of the area. Only six minutes had passed before the home side were forced into a first-half substitution, as Tope Obadeyi replaced the injured Lewis Alessandra.
Reid squandered a glorious opportunity to net his second goal of the evening after going one-on-one with Chesterfield goalkeeper Tommy Lee, as the ex-Yeovil striker fired low and disappointingly wide of the post. Just before the break, visiting captain Ian Evatt met a Roberts free-kick, although his glancing header sailed just wide of Jake Cole’s post.
After the restart, Richards unleashed a powerful drive at goal which was palmed away by Cole. Richards was to be denied for a second time in the space of a few minutes, as Cole magnificently tipped the striker’s close range effort onto the crossbar and away from danger.
Just before the hour mark, the Spireites levelled the scoreline through Humphreys’ forceful shot from range that took an immense deflection before nestling into the back of the net. The travelling support were silenced moments after their side got back on level terms, as Reid’s pile-driver of a shot left Lee with virtually no chance of stopping it.
On 62 minutes, the away side opted to make a double substitution. Daniel Kearns replaced Jay O’Shea and Mason Bennett took to the field in place of Ollie Banks. A mere eight minutes had passed before Eoin Doyle entered proceedings at the expense of Roberts.
Obadeyi was bearing down on goal, but was immediately closed down by Lee and ultimately lost possession. With ten minutes left to play, Reid left the field with two goals to his name in order for Marvin Morgan to enter proceedings.
It was announced that there would be four minutes of additional time.
For all their efforts, the Spireites failed to muster up a clear shot at goal in time added on, as they left Home Park point-less.
About the Author

Ben Littlewood

Member since: 18th August 2013


Popular Categories