Morecambe v Chesterfield FC Report
6th October 2013
... Comments
A superb comeback to win 4-3 at home to Chesterfield meant that the Shrimps maintained their unbeaten home record this season.
Virtually straight after kick off, the visitors’ had the first goal of the game. A defensive lapse from the home side left Eoin Doyle with a chance in front of goal, which he calmly converted low to Barry Roche’s left. Gary McSheffrey then had a volleyed effort that went wide of goal.
On 11 minutes, the Spireites doubled their lead. A low Darikwa pass across goal found McSheffrey, who fired straight into the back of the net. Chesterfield started brilliantly at the Globe Arena, whilst being cool in possession at the same time.
Morecambe came back at the visitors’ with a succession of corners, but failed to muster up a clear chance at goal. The home side then had claims for a penalty after a supposed handball, but the referee waved way the protests.
Suddenly, it was 3-0. A single run from Doyle allowed him time and space to chip over Roche, putting daylight between the two teams. The scoreline suggested the level of control that Chesterfield enjoyed throughout the first half. Tendayi Darikwa’s low shot went straight into the side netting, as the visitors’ searched for a fourth goal.
Morecambe really struggled in this first period, especially with the lack of possession. Doyle then fired high and wide from close range as the first half drawn to a close, although it was from an awkward angle.
Chesterfield reached the break in front, after a superb display in which they scored three good goals.
Immediately after the restart, the home side pulled a goal back. A mistake from Ian Evatt allowed Ellison to place the ball past Spireites goalkeeper Tommy Lee. Moments later, a lofted pass from McSheffrey found Doyle, who’s headed pass found O’Shea, but the midfielder’s effort never troubled Roche.
It was evident in the second period that Morecambe came back out with more hunger and desire. On the hour mark, the Shrimps got their second goal of the day. A scrappy exchange in the Spireites penalty area led to Hughes firing the ball low into the net.
On the counter, Darikwa ran forward but was blocked in the opposition half. Ryan Edwards then replaced O’Shea with 25 minutes to play, in order to defend the one goal lead.
Moments later, the home side grabbed the equaliser. A low half-volley from Jack Sampson flew past Lee to his left-hand side. The visitors’ resorted to many long balls after the kick off, in search of an opportunity but nothing came to pass. Chesterfield seemed to have lost their rythm in this game and have suffered as a consequence.
With 20 minutes remaining, Darikwa was replaced by Jamie Devitt. Not soon after, recent loan acquisition Chris Porter was brought into the game in place of McSheffrey. A Doyle shot was then palmed behind for a corner by Roche.
Another chance fell to Doyle, but his effort hit the post and went out for a goal kick, as the striker searched for his hat-trick. On the counter, Morecambe took the lead for the first time in the match. A lofted cross from the right-hand side was met by Padraig Amond, who’s header evaded Lee in the Spireites goal, sending the home fans' into raptures.
The home side were able to hold on for the win, after a magnificent comeback in today’s game. An indifferent second half performance let Chesterfield down, as they suffered their second defeat in the space of seven days, but remain top of the table.
About the Author

Ben Littlewood

Member since: 18th August 2013


Popular Categories