Match Report: Scunthorpe United v Chesterfield
19th March 2016
... Comments

Spireites Safe in Scunthorpe.  

Chesterfield claimed a point against Scunthorpe United after a 1-1 draw at Glanford Park on Saturday afternoon, as Paddy Madden's first-half finish was cancelled out by Jamal Campbell-Ryce's second-half strike.  

Danny Wilson made two alterations for this encounter, as Liam O'Neil and Declan John took the places of Drew Talbot and Dion Donohue.  

In the opening moments, Neal Bishop connected with a driven delivery before watching his headed attempt sail out of play for a goal-kick. With 18 minutes on the clock, Madden opened the scoring after breaking free and rounding Tommy Lee before finishing into an open net.  

At the other end, Lee Novak picked up possession before firing high and wide of the crossbar from around 20 yards. John advanced down the left-hand side before producing a driven delivery, which failed to trouble the opposing defence as an ensuing clearance eliminated the danger.  

Evading his marker allowed Gboly Ariyibi to cross towards Jay O'Shea on the six-yard line, but an opposing defender intervened and performed an adequate clearance. Conor Dimaio struck first-time from range, only to be denied with his impressive effort by Luke Daniel's one-handed save.  

Just before the half-time whistle, a long ball into the area was cleared with ease by the hosts' defence.  

After the break, Gary Liddle's forceful cross into the area left much to be desired and was cleared by a member of the opposition. O'Shea took matters into his own hands and unleashed a powerful effort from distance, which sailed waywardly wide of the post.  

On the hour mark, Campbell-Ryce levelled the scoreline with a simple finish from close range after meeting a low pass from O'Shea. Involved once again, the Irishman went to ground inside the area but the referee decided to signal play to continue. 

As the game entered its closing stages, Luke Williams struck from range but watched the ball bounce low and wide of the post. For the full four minutes of additional time, both sides continued to push but to no avail and settled for a share of the points. 

About the Author

Ben Littlewood

Member since: 18th August 2013


Popular Categories