Match Report: Scunthorpe United v Chesterfield
7th January 2015
... Comments

Spireites Force FA Cup Third Round Replay.

Chesterfield came from behind to force a replay after a 2-2 draw at Glanford Park last night against Scunthorpe United. Alex Davey and Lyle Taylor put the Iron on their way, with Sam Slocombe thwarting a constant wave of attacks with his impressive reactions for the home side. However, second-half strikes from both Eoin Doyle, who netted from the penalty spot and Jay O’Shea secured a more than deserved draw in this FA Cup third round tie.

Paul Cook named an unchanged side from Friday’s victory in the second round replay of this year's FA Cup against Milton Keynes Dons.

In the opening moments, Scunthorpe striker Paddy Madden connected with a driven cross and directed his header straight into the stands. Neal Bishop was next to try his luck with a headed attempt and managed to force a save from Tommy Lee who kept the ball within his grasp.

With 18 minutes on the clock, the Iron went in front through Chelsea loanee Davey whose ferocious strike from the edge of the area hit the top right-hand corner of the net and left Lee rooted to the spot. Arriving high and ultimately late with a challenge on Gary Roberts, Taylor controversially avoided a yellow card.

Tendayi Darikwa crossed towards Armand Gnanduillet, but the Ivorian headed straight at Slocombe who saved with relative ease. With just one minute left to play in the first period, the home side doubled their advantage through Taylor’s instincts as the forward took advantage of a mis-placed Ritchie Humphreys header to convert past a stranded Lee.

After the break, Romuald Boco picked up possession before cutting inside and firing straight at Slocombe from the edge of the area. Another impressive save by Slocombe was to follow, Sam Clucas thought he’d netted his side’s first of the evening with an extremely powerful volley from close range but somehow the goalkeeper managed to reach a high ball to his left-hand side.

Then, in the 71st minute the Spireites deservedly reduced the deficit through Doyle’s calm finish from the penalty spot which came as a result of an infringement on Roberts. Looking for a quick-fire second and an equalising goal, Doyle tried his luck with an 18-yard header that went narrowly wide of the post.

With just five minutes of normal time left to play, Chesterfield grabbed a second courtesy of a neat O’Shea finish from around six yards after Dan Gardner and Roberts combined to assist the midfielder. Both Scunthorpe United and the Spireites will now face a replay at the Proact Stadium because of this result, Chesterfield’s second consecutive FA Cup tie in which this has happened.

About the Author

Ben Littlewood

Member since: 18th August 2013


Popular Categories