Match Report: Rochdale v Chesterfield
9th January 2016
... Comments

Spireites Spring on Spotland.

Chesterfield prevailed by a 3-2 scoreline against Rochdale at Spotland on Saturday afternoon. Jay O'Shea, Lee Novak and Sylvan Ebanks-Blake all got on the scoresheet for the Spireites, with Ian Henderson and Rhys Bennett netting the home side's two consolations.

Danny Wilson named an unchanged side from last Saturday's convincing victory over Shrewsbury Town for this particular encounter.

In the opening moments, Gboly Ariybi broke free and produced a driven delivery which failed to reach a fellow member of the attack. Donal McDermott replicated Ariyibi’s individual run, but the midfielder’s ensuing cross lacked the necessary quality to trouble the Spireites’ defence.

Involved once again, McDermott evaded his marker before firing straight in the direction of Tommy Lee who saved with relative ease. On 26 minutes, O'Shea opened the scoring with a simple finish past Josh Lillis after latching onto a short pass inside the area.

An advancing Novak met a low cross on the six-yard line and sent the ball past Lillis, only for the linesman's flag to be raised for off-side. Ariyibi took matters into his own hands with a half-volley from the edge of the area that failed to trouble the opposing goalkeeper.

Just before the half-time whistle, Ariyibi cut inside and fired past Lillis with the help of a deflection only for the referee to disallow the goal on this occasion after consulting with his linesman.

After the break, Calvin Andrew connected with McDermott’s driven cross and directed his headed effort straight into the stands. On 58 minutes, Henderson levelled the scoreline with a diving header which was made possible by a lofted through-ball.

Picking up possession near the half-way line allowed Sam Morsy to advance and eventually try his luck, but the captain's strike left much to be desired. On 78 minutes, Novak reinstated his side's lead after making an all-important connection with Dan Gardner's low cross on the six-yard line.

Two minutes later, Ebanks-Blake intercepted a poor back-pass and took one touch before finessing the ball past a helpless Lillis to double his side's advantage. Deep into the five minutes of additional time, the home side reduced the deficit courtesy of Bennett's forceful header but failed to prevent a second consecutive victory for the Spireites.

About the Author

Ben Littlewood

Member since: 18th August 2013


Popular Categories