Match Report: Millwall v Chesterfield
1st September 2015
... Comments

Spireites Victorious at Millwall.

Chesterfield sealed a 2-0 victory over Millwall at the Den on Saturday afternoon, with Jay O'Shea's individual strikes in either 45-minute period ultimately confining the Lions to their third league defeat from a total of five outings.

Dean Saunders made a total of two changes from the goalless draw at home to Rochdale over a week ago, as Liam O'Neil and Gboly Ariyibi took the places of both Drew Talbot and Lee Novak.

In the opening moments, Ian Evatt connected with a driven cross from the right-hand side and directed the ball straight into the palms of Jordan Archer who prepared to instigate an attack for the home side. With just 17 minutes on the clock, O'Shea opened the scoring with a sensational volley from just outside the area that beat Archer all-ends-up as it nestled into the bottom right-hand corner of the net.

A lofted corner-kick fell invitingly for Sam Morsy, but the midfielder opted not to shoot and was eventually smothered by a number of opposing defenders which prevented any chance of a later effort. Ben Thompson tried his luck from distance for the home side, only to be denied by a superb defensive block by Evatt on the 18-yard line.

Following a weaving run, Jimmy Abdou aimed an intricate through-ball at a fellow member of the Millwall attack but Evatt anticipated the danger and fired the ball straight out of play for a throw-in. At the other end, Morsy found himself in a one-on-one situation with Archer only to shoot against the body of the opposing goalkeeper when expected to score.

Just before the half-time whistle, a lofted pass into the Spireites' area was met by Tommy Lee who gathered possession to prevent any chance of a first-half equaliser for the home side.

After the break, O'Shea fed a short pass to Sylvan Ebanks-Blake who turned instantly and directed the ball disappointingly into the stands from just outside the area. Fred Onyedinma broke free of the defence and looked almost certain to finish past Lee who was in a vulnerable position, but the linesman's flag was already raised for off-side.

Moments later, Onyedinma was through and once again one-on-one with Lee only to later realise that he was in an off-side position for the second time in a matter of minutes. Ebanks-Blake managed to cut inside before feeding a pass to O'Shea, who struck straight at Archer from 20 yards and the goalkeeper gathered possession with relative ease.

Without doubt, the most impressive piece of goalkeeping came in the second period after Lee managed to produce a stunning reflex save from Abdou's effort which deflected against the body of a defending Spireite. Deep into the five minutes of additional time, O'Shea struck for a second time in this contest and sealed the three points with a powerful finish that made its way past a helpless Archer with the help of a deflection.

About the Author

Ben Littlewood

Member since: 18th August 2013


Popular Categories