Match Report: Doncaster Rovers v Chesterfield
27th November 2015
... Comments

Spireites Defeated in Third Consecutive Fixture.

Chesterfield fell to a third consecutive defeat against Doncaster Rovers by a 3-0 scoreline at the Keepmoat Stadium on Tuesday night. Nathan Tyson’s rebound following a penalty-kick, a neat Andy Williams finish from close range and a convincing strike in additional time by Cameron Stewart sealed all three points for the home side.

Dean Saunders named an unchanged side from Saturday's defeat agains... t Port Vale for this particular encounter.

In the opening moments, Lee Novak crossed towards Sylvan Ebanks-Blake who volleyed into the bottom left-hand corner of the net but the linesman's flag was already raised for off-side. Williams picked up possession on the edge of the area and took a single touch before firing waywardly wide of the post when firmly expected to hit the target.

A failed clearance fell to the feet of Harry Middleton, who took matters into his own hands with a strike from range which sailed straight into the stands. Sam Morsy fed a through-ball towards the feet of Dan Gardner, who struck first-time and watched his effort drift low and wide of the post.

After beating his marker, Cedric Evina tried his luck with a forceful strike from 20 yards but failed to trouble Tommy Lee in the slightest. Williams connected with a driven delivery near the penalty spot and volleyed straight in the direction of Lee who gathered with relative ease.

Just before the half-time whistle, Jay O'Shea went one-on-one with Thorsten Stuckmann and selflessly fed the ball towards Novak who fired narrowly wide of the post.

At the beginning of the second period, Daniel Jones took up possession and drove forwards before firing low and waywardly wide of the post. On the hour mark, Doncaster Rovers were awarded a penalty with the rebound that followed being dispatched simply by Tyson.

With 20 minutes of normal time left on the clock, the home side doubled their advantage through Williams who met a low cross and directed the ball past a helpless Lee. Gboly Ariyibi brought an aerial ball down with his chest before volleying straight into the stands, much to the frustration of the travelling support.

Involved once again, Ariyibi evaded his marker and crossed towards Ebanks-Blake who directed his headed attempt wide of the post from around eight yards. During the three minutes of additional time, Stewart pounced a poor back-pass by Ian Evatt prior to going one-on-one with Lee and finishing with absolute ease.            

About the Author

Ben Littlewood

Member since: 18th August 2013


Popular Categories