Match Report: Chesterfield v Yeovil Town
3rd November 2014
... Comments

Spireites Held by Yeovil.

Chesterfield were forced to settle for a 0-0 draw against Yeovil Town at the Proact Stadium on Saturday afternoon, following a game that included very few clear goalscoring opportunities.

The first real chance in this contest came on eight minutes, as Keiffer Moore rose highest to meet a driven cross on the six-yard line only to be denied by a magnificent one-handed save from Tommy Lee. Banks broke free of the defence before aiming his own cross at Eoin Doyle, but Ben Nugent intercepted to clear any remote signs of danger.

Dan Gardner was next to get in behind the Yeovil back-line, with the former Halifax Town midfielder putting a low ball across the face of goal that narrowly avoided the feet of Doyle in a more than inviting position. The Spireites were left wanting in the final third, with no end product accompanying an adequate level of build-up play.

Moments later, Gardner took up free-kick duties and directed the ball onto the head of Georg Margreitter, seconds prior to the referee bringing the game to a halt as a result of an infringement by the Austrian. Just before the half-time whistle, Doyle latched onto a neat through-ball before opting to pass to a fellow member of the attack rather than have a shot himself and the Spireites ultimately gave up possession.

After the break, Jordy Hiwula received the ball on the edge of the area before trying his luck and forcing a fairly routine save from Lee. Taking matters into his own hands, Doyle drove forwards before firing straight at Jed Steer as part of a very fast-paced start to the second period.

Sam Morsy was next in order to have an attempt at goal, although on this occasion a member of the away side’s defence was there to make an important block. Just past the hour mark, James Berrett also fired a shot at Lee from long range but once again the goalkeeper was equal to it.

With around five minutes of normal time left to play, Chesterfield had a late scare following Lee’s decision to come racing off his line before bringing down his man on the edge of the box, which ultimately led to a yellow card. Both sides played out the three minutes of additional time at the end of this contest, which earned a point and halted a run of three straight defeats for the Spireites.

About the Author

Ben Littlewood

Member since: 18th August 2013


Popular Categories