Match Report: Chesterfield v Swindon Town
29th October 2014
... Comments

Spireites Stunned by Swindon.

Chesterfield succumbed to a 3-0 defeat against Swindon Town at the Proact Stadium on Tuesday night, with Yaser Kasim, Nathan Byrne and Andy Williams all getting on the scoresheet for the visitors.

In the opening moments, Dan Gardner failed to take advantage of an inviting opportunity after firing wide of the target from a low Sam Clucas cross. Louis Thompson was next to squander an early chance, as he sliced his effort high and wide of the crossbar on the half-volley.

After rounding Tommy Lee, Jonathan Obika wasted a glorious chance after the midfielder placed his shot wide of an open net. With 28 minutes on the clock, the Robins opened the scoring through a moment of individual brilliance from Kasim, whose free-kick changed direction mid-air to beat Lee all-ends-up.

Only five minutes had passed before Swindon extended their lead further, following a darting run forward from Byrne prior to unleashing a ferocious effort that Lee was once again powerless to stop. Up until the half-time whistle, the visitors controlled the tempo of the play and were more than happy to conserve their two-goal lead in the closing stages of the first period.

Immediately after the break, Gardner broke free of the defence before crossing miserably to the feet of an opposing defender. As rain began to fall heavily in Chesterfield, Michael Smith went one-on-one with Lee who spread himself well in order to make an important save.

Just past the hour mark, the Spireites had appeals for a penalty turned down by the referee after Ian Evatt went to ground inside the area. On 70 minutes, Swindon put daylight between the two teams with their third goal of the evening which came courtesy of Williams’s simple tap-in, only moments after entering proceedings as a substitute.

Running freely down each flank, Gboly Ariyibi eventually provided a stunning ball across goal that was met by Ollie Banks whose header crashed onto the roof of the net. With the four minutes of additional time all but over, Clucas struck first-time from a low Ariyibi pass, with the ball ultimately sailing straight into the stands.

About the Author

Ben Littlewood

Member since: 18th August 2013


Popular Categories