Match Report: Chesterfield v Scunthorpe United
25th October 2015
... Comments

Spireites Fall to Defeat Against Scunthorpe United.

Chesterfield fell to defeat against Scunthorpe United by a 3-0 scoreline at the Proact Stadium on Saturday afternoon. Paddy Madden netted twice either side of Gary McSheffrey’s volleyed finish, with the striker's first coming from the penalty spot after Daniel Jones was dismissed for a last-ditch challenge. 

Dean Saunders made one forced alteration prior to this particular encounter, as the suspended Ian Evatt was replaced by Sam Hird. 

In the opening moments, Lee Novak struck from distance only to be denied by Jack King's resolute block on the 18-yard line. Dan Gardner tried his luck from a similar range, but directed his effort low and disappointingly wide of the post. 

Waiting on the edge of the area, Sylvan Ebanks-Blake picked up possession and attempted a speculative chip that never troubled Luke Daniels in the slightest. Madden met a driven free-kick and volleyed straight into the arms of Tommy Lee, who gathered with relative ease. 

Another forceful delivery was met on this occasion by McSheffrey, but the forward headed wide of the post when expected to force a save from Lee at the very least. Jay O'Shea pounced on a loose ball 20 yards from goal and struck first-time before watching the ball sail wide of the post by a matter of inches. 

Just before the half-time whistle, Chris Herd took matters into his own hands with an individual strike from 25 yards that sailed straight into the stands. 

After the break, Novak fired from range and failed to trouble Daniels who prepared to instigate another attack for his side. On 55 minutes, McSheffrey was brought to ground inside the area by Jones who was then dismissed moments before Madden converted the spot-kick with ease. 

Only eight minutes had passed before the away side doubled their advantage through a moment of individual brilliance, as McSheffrey volleyed past a helpless Lee from the stunning distance of 20 yards. Tom Hopper rose highest to connect with a cross and headed straight into the arms of Lee, who gathered with ease. 

With 79 minutes on the clock, Madden netted his second and Scunthorpe United’s third of the afternoon with a powerful strike that was helped by a fortunate deflection. For the full five minutes of additional time, the visitors remained in possession and left Derbyshire in the end with all three points.

About the Author

Ben Littlewood

Member since: 18th August 2013


Popular Categories