Match Report: Chesterfield v Rochdale
18th August 2014
... Comments

Spireites Seal Second Straight League Victory.

Eoin Doyle struck from the penalty spot in both the first and second period, sealing a 2-1 victory over Rochdale at the Proact Stadium on Saturday afternoon. The away side’s only goal of the game also came courtesy of a spot-kick late in time added on, which in the end turned out to be a mere consolation.

The first real chance in this contest fell to the feet of Doyle, who broke free of the visitors’ defence before firing against the crossbar and away from danger. Matt Done latched onto a loose ball on the edge of the Chesterfield area, but his rushed effort sailed narrowly wide of the post.

Sensing a golden opportunity, Jay O’Shea tried his luck from range although the midfielder’s ferocious shot was palmed away for a corner-kick by Josh Lillis. Doyle took advantage of another defensive lapse from the Dale and found himself one-on-one with Lillis, but the Irishman fired straight into the goalkeeper’s palms.

With 39 minutes on the clock, the Spireites were awarded their first penalty as a consequence of an infringement on O’Shea. Doyle stepped up and calmly converted to the right-hand side, handing his side a deserved first-half lead. 

Immediately after the break, Bastien Hery drove forward with intent before blazing the ball high and wide of the target. A lengthy delay in proceedings followed, with visiting goalkeeper Lillis having to be replaced by Johny Diba Musangu because of an ankle injury.

Ian Henderson’s curled effort never troubled Tommy Lee in the Chesterfield goal as he watched the ball travel behind for a goal-kick. Mid-way through the second period, Diba Musangu could have seen red for a deliberate hand-ball after leaving the comfort of his own area, although the referee opted to show the yellow card instead.

On 76 minutes, Chesterfield were awarded their second penalty of the afternoon following an infringement on Doyle. The Irishman retained penalty duties and rifled home to double his side’s advantage and net his second goal in just two league games.

With the seven minutes of time added on coming to a close, Rochdale were awarded a penalty of their own after Spireites skipper Ian Evatt handled the ball inside his own area. Henderson stepped up and converted past Lee, which in the end turned out to be the last act of the game.

About the Author

Ben Littlewood

Member since: 18th August 2013


Popular Categories