Match Report: Chesterfield v Oldham Athletic
20th October 2014
... Comments

Spireites Draw Against Oldham.

Jonathan Forte’s second-half penalty was cancelled out by a neat Sam Clucas finish, as both sides ultimately settled for a 1-1 draw at the Proact Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

The first real chance in this contest fell to the visitors’ Mike Jones, who fired straight at Tommy Lee who saved comfortably. Carl Winchester tested the reactions of Lee once more, but the goalkeeper managed to pull off a superb diving save to his left-hand side to deny the Latics an early goal.

Forte broke free of the Spireites’ defence before unleashing a strong effort that was stopped in its path by Lee, as part of a very bright start from the visiting side. On the counter-attack, Clucas had a venomous strike from range that sailed narrowly wide of the post.

Gary Roberts opted to deliver a looping cross which made its way onto the head of Eoin Doyle, although the Irishman directed his effort high and wide of the crossbar. On the stroke of the half-time whistle, Sam Morsy gathered the ball on the edge of the penalty area before having his attempt held by Rachubka.

Immediately after the re-start, the away side were awarded a penalty following an infringement on Danny Philliskirk by Georg Margreitter. Forte stepped up and fired straight down the middle past a diving Lee to put the away side in front.

Tendayi Darikwa found himself in acres of space and put a low ball across goal, with Roberts latching onto a mediocre clearance before firing at Rachubka who showed quick reactions to get back on his feet and stop the ball in its path towards goal. With 56 minutes on the clock, the Spireites got back on level terms after Clucas latched onto a lobbed pass from Roberts to put the ball beyond Rachubka and into the back of the net.

The equalising goal undoubtedly raised the confidence levels of each and every member of the Chesterfield squad, with an increase in the tempo of their play clearly evident. Jabo Ibehre broke free of the hosts’ defence before shooting from a matter of yards, only to be denied by a magnificent one-handed save from Lee.

Morsy capitalised on an opportunity to shoot and forced a strong save to the right-hand side by Rachubka. With the four minutes additional time all but over, Oldham forced a goal-line scramble following a driven free-kick, although Lee managed to keep a hold on the ball as both sides took a share of the points from this fixture.

About the Author

Ben Littlewood

Member since: 18th August 2013


Popular Categories