Match Report: Chesterfield v Oldham Athletic
15th November 2015
... Comments

Spireites Fall to Defeat Against Oldham Athletic.

Chesterfield fell to defeat against Oldham Athletic by a 2-1 scoreline at the Proact Stadium on Saturday afternoon. Sylvan Ebanks-Blake put the Spireites in front, but an individual finish from Dominic Poleon and an own-goal on Tommy Lee's behalf earned the visitors all three points.

Dean Saunders made one alteration from Monday’s victory over FC United of Manchester in the first round of this year's FA Cup, as Dan Gardner took the place of Gboly Ariyibi.

In the opening moments, Ebanks-Blake broke free of the defence before firing waywardly wide of the opposing goalkeeper’s post. Jay O'Shea picked up possession on the left-hand side and curled the ball narrowly wide of the post, with Joel Coleman flailing in his attempt to push the ball to safety.

Taking up free-kick duties for the away side, Mark Yeates fired straight in the direction of Lee who held with relative ease before instigating an attack for the Spireites. On 34 minutes, Ebanks-Blake put the Spireites in front with a simple close-range finish after connecting with a low pass on the six-yard line.

At the other end, Liam Kelly received the ball just outside the area before unleashing a forceful effort that deflected against the body of Chris Herd and bounced out of play for a corner-kick. Ebanks-Blake brought a lofted pass down from the air and fed a through-ball towards Gardner on the left-hand side, whose strike sailed straight into the stands.

Just before the half-time whistle, Joseph Mills took up free-kick duties prior to firing low and wide of the post from around 20 yards.

After the break, Ian Evatt managed to perform a resolute block inside the area from an opposing forward’s forceful volley. Yeates was next to try his luck, this time from around 25 yards and Evatt was once again the defending force as a strong block preceded a powerful clearance.

With 72 minutes on the clock, the visitors levelled the scoreline courtesy of Poleon’s instinctive finish from six yards after Lee fumbled another player's shot from distance. Daniel Jones made his way down the left-hand side before crossing towards the feet of Ebanks-Blake, who took a single touch before firing straight into the stands.

Only three minutes of normal time remained when the away side completed the comeback, as a strike from range was fumbled by Lee into the back of his own net. For the full four minutes of additional time, the Spireites continued to push but to no avail and ultimately fell to defeat in this fixture.

About the Author

Ben Littlewood

Member since: 18th August 2013


Popular Categories