Match Report: Chesterfield v Millwall
23rd January 2016
... Comments

Spireites Defeated in Second Consecutive Fixture.  

Chesterfield fell to their second consecutive defeat by a 2-1 scoreline against Millwall at the Proact Stadium on Saturday afternoon. Sam Morsy's opener was rendered meaningless as finishes from Aiden O'Brien and Lee Gregory sealed all three points for the visitors.  

Danny Wilson made two alterations for this particular encounter, as Drew Talbot and Gboly Ariyibi took the places of Chris Herd and Dan Gardner.  

In the opening moments, Jed Wallace tried his luck with a strike from range that was held with relative ease by Tommy Lee. At the other end, Morsy took matters into his own hands by striking from a similar distance only for the midfielder's effort to sail narrowly wide of the post.  

Breaking free of the defence allowed Lee Novak to cross unchallenged, but Sylvan Ebanks-Blake failed to hit the target with his outstretched foot on the six-yard line. With 25 minutes on the clock, Morsy opened the scoring for the Spireites after firing into the bottom right-hand corner of the net from around 25 yards.  

Immediately after the restart, O'Brien connected with a driven cross and headed past Lee who failed to produce an adequate diving save to his left-hand side. Dion Donohue attempted a half-volley from the edge of the area, but directed the ball straight into the arms of Jordan Archer.  

Just before the half-time whistle, Sam Hird rose highest to meet a corner-kick and headed straight into the stands.  

After the break, Gregory completed the comeback for the away side with a close-range finish past a flailing Lee. Moments later, Byron Webster connected with a driven corner-kick but failed to trouble Lee with a wayward headed attempt. 

On the counter-attack, Gregory found space before firing against the side-netting when expected to force a save from Lee at the very least. Once again, Morsy tried his luck from range and forced a diving save to the left-hand side by Archer.  

Waiting on the edge of the area, Emmanuel Dieseruvwe picked up possession before firing waywardly wide of the post. For the full four minutes of additional time, the Spireites continued to push but to no avail and fell to their second consecutive defeat. 

About the Author

Ben Littlewood

Member since: 18th August 2013


Popular Categories