Match Report: Chesterfield v Huddersfield Town
13th August 2014
... Comments

Spireites Fall to Capital One Cup Defeat.

Huddersfield overturned a 3-1 deficit to send the game to extra-time and eventually seal a 5-3 victory at the Proact Stadium on Tuesday night. Ritchie Humphreys, Ollie Banks and Eoin Doyle all netted for the home side, but a Nahki Wells hat-trick along with a goal each from Jon Stead and Joe Lolley sealed an unlikely comeback from the Terriers.

In the opening moments, Stead drove forward before unleashing a powerful effort that just sailed wide of the post. Romuald Boco's ferocious volley from an awkward angle failed to trouble visiting goalkeeper Joe Murphy, after meeting a driven cross from Daniel Jones.

A defence-splitting pass from Gary Roberts fell to the feet of Doyle, who found himself one-on-one with Murphy before firing low and narrowly wide of the post. Typifying the end-to-end nature of this first period, Wells broke free of the Spireites' defence until a last-ditch tackle from Tendayi Darikwa denied the Bermudian.

With 31 minutes on the clock, the Spireites opened the scoring through Humphreys's 12-yard header, following yet another trademark cross from Jones. On the stroke of half-time, Chesterfield doubled their advantage courtesy of a magnificent curling effort from Banks only a matter of moments after the midfielder had entered proceedings to replace the injured Humphreys.

Immediately after the break, Sam Morsy tried his luck from range but the ball flew high and wide of the target. Wells forced yet another save from Lee, as the high tempo of this contest carried over into the second period.

Just before the hour mark, the Terriers pulled a goal back after Wells evaded his marker to connect with a dipping Oliver Norwood cross to beat Lee at the first time of asking. Reducing the deficit boosted the away side's confidence levels magnificently, with a re-newed vigour noticeable in their play.

On the counter-attack, the Spireites re-instated their two-goal lead courtesy of Doyle's simple tap-in from six yards after Roberts's effort was palmed straight into the Irishman's path. Tommy Smith's low pass across the face of goal allowed Wells another golden opportunity to strike, although the former Bradford forward fired high and wide of the crossbar.

With six minutes of normal time left to play, the Terriers were awarded a penalty following an infringement on Stead by Darikwa. Wells stepped up and sent Lee the wrong way, which added extra tension in the closing stages for both sets of supporters.

Late in the five minutes of additional time, the visitors got back on level terms after a mistake from Lee who fumbled Stead's mediocre shot into his own net.

Huddersfield clearly had momentum on their side and went in front for the first time with another Wells finish from close range, which completed the striker's hat-trick with only four minutes of extra-time played. On 98 minutes, a defensive lapse from Darikwa allowed Lolley to stab the ball into the bottom right-hand corner of the net, sealing Chesterfield's exit from the Capital One Cup in the first round for the eighth consecutive season.

About the Author

Ben Littlewood

Member since: 18th August 2013


Popular Categories