Match Report: Chesterfield v Crewe Alexandra
20th February 2016
... Comments

Spireites Clinical in Crewe Alexandra Clash.

Chesterfield prevailed against Crewe Alexandra by a 3-1 scoreline at the Proact Stadium on Saturday afternoon, with Sylvan Ebanks-Blake, Lee Novak and Conor Dimaio netting for the Spireites. Zoumana Bakayogo's first-half strike was rendered as a mere consolation, as his side succumbed to defeat on the road.  

Danny Wilson made four alterations for this particular encounter, as Declan John, Chris Herd, Novak and Ebanks-Blake took the places of Dion Donohue, Gary Liddle, Jay O'Shea and Emmanuel Dieseruvwe.  

With seven minutes on the clock, Ebanks-Blake opened the scoring with a first-time flick which required the assistance of a post. Five minutes later, Novak extended the Spireites' lead with a simple tap-in from six yards which was made possible by Gboly Ariyibi's inch-perfect cross. 

Breaking free of the defence provided Callum Saunders with an ideal opportunity, but the midfielder fired wide of the post in a one-on-one situation with Tommy Lee. On 27 minutes, Bakayogo reduced the deficit with a powerful finish into an open net after an initial cross bypassed Lee.  

Switching play allowed Bradden Inman an opportunity to force a save from Lee, but the goalkeeper held firm and pushed the ball to safety. Dimaio took one touch and fired from the edge of the area, only to watch the ball bounce out of play for a goal-kick.  

Just before the half-time whistle, Ariyibi evaded his marker and crossed straight into the arms of Ben Garratt.  

After the break, Bakayogo failed to trouble Lee with a forceful header which sailed waywardly wide of the post. On 56 minutes, Dimaio met Ebanks-Blake's through-ball before firing past Garratt and into the bottom left-hand corner of the net.  

As Garratt decided to advance from his line, Ollie Banks attempted a speculative effort from 35 yards which was held well by the opposing goalkeeper. Ebanks-Blake picked up possession on the edge of the area before trying his luck, but the striker failed to trouble Garratt.

As the contest entered its closing stages, Banks advanced before striking from around 20 yards and directing the ball wide of the post. Deep into the three minutes of additional time, Marcus Haber connected with a driven cross and directed his headed effort wide of the post. 

About the Author

Ben Littlewood

Member since: 18th August 2013


Popular Categories