Match Report: Chesterfield v Coventry City
29th December 2015
... Comments

Spireites Draw Against Coventry City.

Chesterfield took a share of the points following a 1-1 draw against Coventry City at the Proact Stadium on Monday afternoon. Lee Novak handed the Spireites a deserved first-half lead, only for Joe Maddison’s stunning second-half free-kick to level the scoreline between the two sides.

Danny Wilson made a total of four changes ahead of his first game in charge of the Spireites, as Richard Wood, Sam Morsy, Chris Herd and Gboly Ariyibi took the places of Charlie Raglan, Derek Daly, Ollie Banks and Dan Gardner.

In the opening moments, Marc Antoine-Fortune fed a short pass towards Maddison who failed to trouble Tommy Lee with a low effort that bounced waywardly wide of the post. Jim O'Brien tried his luck with a strike from around 25 yards that sailed straight into the stands, with Lee then readying himself for a goal-kick.

Inside the area, Ariyibi connected with Jay O'Shea’s driven delivery from the left-hand side and failed to trouble opposing goalkeeper Reice Charles-Cook. Maddison broke free on the right-hand side before crossing straight in the direction of Lee who gathered with relative ease.

Waiting to receive a short pass from a fellow attacker, Morsy eventually picked up possession and struck from range only to watch the ball sail wide of the post by a considerable distance. On 36 minutes, Novak opened the scoring after connecting with O'Shea's free-kick and producing a glancing header that beat Charles-Cook all-ends-up.

Just before the half-time whistle, Ariyibi wasted another headed opportunity after directing the ball wide of the post from a matter of yards.

After the break, O'Brien broke free of the Spireites’ defence and advanced further only for the linesman's flag to be raised for off-side. Maddison took up free-kick duties on the edge of the area and directed the ball into the opposing wall of bodies.

Taking the initiative, John Fleck fired from the speculative distance of 30 yards and failed to trouble Lee who watched the ball sail straight over the crossbar. Adam Armstrong made an instant impact after entering proceedings in the second period, as the striker struck low and wide of the post from just outside the area.

With 89 minutes of the clock, the away side levelled the scoreline courtesy of Maddison’s impressive free-kick from 20 yards that sailed straight past a helpless Lee. For the full six minutes of additional time, both sides continued to push but to no avail and ultimately settled for a share of the points.                      

About the Author

Ben Littlewood

Member since: 18th August 2013


Popular Categories