Match Report: Chesterfield v Colchester United
13th September 2015
... Comments

Spireites Draw Against Colchester United.

Chesterfield took a share of the points yesterday after a 3-3 draw against Colchester United at the Proact Stadium, with Daniel Jones, Lee Novak and Sam Morsy all getting on the scoresheet for the Spireites.

Gavin Massey and George Moncur both netted while Charlie Raglan's own-goal in additional time earned the visitors a point. Obviously, Drew Talbot's dismissal made obtaining a point a much tougher task.

Dean Saunders made a total of two changes for this particular encounter, with Talbot and Raglan taking the places of Liam O'Neil and Sam Hird.

In the opening moments, Matthew Briggs tried his luck from range and forced Tommy Lee into a low save down to his left-hand side. Gboly Ariybi latched onto a neat through-ball and struck straight in the direction of Jamie Jones, who held with relative ease.

Only 15 minutes had been played when Talbot was dismissed, as a consequence of bringing Marvin Sordell to the ground when the striker was in behind the defence. With 22 minutes on the clock, Jones scored his first league goal for Chesterfield with a driven free-kick that made its way through a raft of bodies and into the back of the net.

Seven minutes later, the away side levelled the scoreline through Massey's neat finish into the bottom left-hand corner of the net from the short distance of eight yards. Novak led a counter-attack and eventually crossed into the area, only for an opposing defender to intercept and clear the danger with a towering header. 

Just before the half-time whistle, Callum Harriott struck the post with a curled effort from just outside the area.

After the break, Alex Gilbey attempted a speculative effort from range that was ultimately denied by the post. Just past the hour mark, Novak reinstated his side's lead with a simple volley into the net from close range following Dan Gardner's clever pull-back.

On 74 minutes, Morsy netted Chesterfield's third of the afternoon with a forceful volley from a matter of yards that Jones was powerless to stop. Two minutes later, the visitors reduced the deficit through Moncur's straightforward finish past Lee from close range.

A marauding run forward by Morsy preceded a neat through-ball that was met by Byron Harrison, who fired straight in the direction of Jones. Deep into the five minutes of additional time, Raglan met a powerful strike on the line and mistakenly directed the ball into his own net which led to a share of the points.

About the Author

Ben Littlewood

Member since: 18th August 2013


Popular Categories