Match Report: Chesterfield v Bristol City
26th April 2015
... Comments

Spireites Defeated by Bristol City.

Chesterfield fell to a 2-0 defeat at the Proact Stadium yesterday afternoon against already-crowned League One champions Bristol City, whilst simultaneously sealing a play-off place due to results elsewhere acting favourably on behalf of the Spireites. Kieran Agard and Aden Flint grabbed the goals for the visitors, with the former’s strike coming in the first period and the latter's during the second 45 minutes.

Paul Cook named an unchanged side from Saturday’s draw against Oldham Athletic for this particular encounter.

In the opening moments, Jay Emmanuel-Thomas received the ball on the edge of the area and prepared to strike before Sam Hird’s pivotal interception led to a clearance away from the danger area. Luke Freeman then went to ground inside the area under a challenge from Tendayi Darikwa, only for the referee to ignore any claims for a penalty-kick and signal play to continue.

After advancing down the right-hand side, Dan Gardner aimed a cross towards a fellow member of the attack on the six-yard line although visiting goalkeeper Frank Fielding reacted quickest to claim the ball with his outstretched palms. Jay O’Shea played a neat through-ball towards Jimmy Ryan, who struck first-time against the legs of Fielding from around eight yards in a one-on-one situation.

With 31 minutes on the clock, the Robins took the lead courtesy of Agard who finished an impressive individual run into the area by slotting the ball calmly past a flailing Lee. On the stroke of half-time, Darikwa found himself with a decent opportunity but the right-back mistakenly fired the ball into the stands on the half-volley from close range.

The first real moment of note in the second period involved Sam Clucas, who latched onto a lofted Gary Roberts pass prior to striking against the resolute body of Fielding. Just before the hour mark, Flint met Marlon Pack’s driven corner-kick and directed his thunderous header past a stranded Lee who had already failed in his attempt to punch the in-swinging ball to safety.

In reply, Ollie Banks took matters into his own hands with a strike from approximately 30 yards that sailed high and ultimately wide of Fielding’s crossbar. Moments later, Roberts received a short pass from a free-kick and struck the crossbar with his attempt from a considerable distance that had the opposing goalkeeper beaten all-ends-up

As the game entered its closing stages, Sam Morsy took up possession with the goal firmly in his sights, although a deflection took all power away from his effort and Fielding gathered with relative ease. For the full three minutes of additional time, the Spireites continued to push but to no avail yet more importantly secured a play-off place with one game to spare courtesy of Milton Keynes Dons who triumphed over Rochdale by a 3-2 scoreline at Spotland.

About the Author

Ben Littlewood

Member since: 18th August 2013


Popular Categories